Why did my Nexus 7 storage decreased to 8 GB after flashing Lollipop (v5.0)?

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 storage decreased to 8 GB after flashing Lollipop (v5.0)....! Please help..!

Today, I proceeded to flashing my nexus 7 (2012 version) with lollipop image from the google servers, it all went well. BUT, when I went out to the storage tab, it was just 8 GB available(6.2 GB usable).....! Previously it was 32 GB... and the free space available was 29.8 GB......
Please help... My brother's gonna kill me it anything goes wrong...::-\ :'( :'( :( :-! :-X

MetalMike901

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 storage decreased to 8 GB after flashing Lollipop (v5.0)....! Please help..!

Have heard of this happening. A factory reset I believe fixes it, but before doing that try a regular reboot a couple times.

Posted via Android Central App with my Lollipop Nexus 4 on Cricket

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 7 storage decreased to 8 GB after flashing Lollipop (v5.0)....! Please help..!

Have heard of this happening. A factory reset I believe fixes it, but before doing that try a regular reboot a couple times.

Posted via Android Central App with my Lollipop Nexus 4 on Cricket
I have rebooted, factory reseted and banged the tablet against my head. The storage just wouldn't increase!

Larry Davidow

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue. Factory reset didn't fix it. I believe the issue has to do with the partition information stored in the system binary that gets pushed to the device during the flash process.

This assumes the following...
You have everything installed the way you want it (SuperSU, all your apps etc) but the only thing wrong is your tablet is showing the wrong partition size in Storage.
1. Reboot into recovery (TWRP)
2. Take a full backup
3. Once complete, attach your USB cable to your Nexus 7 and copy the TWRP folder to your PC
4. In TWRP, go to Wipe and do a factory reset
5. Once complete, Format Data. Don't miss this step. This is what will re-partition your internal storage and format it with the correct size.
6. Reboot back into recovery
7. Copy the TWRP folder back from your PC on to your tablet. You'll see that there are no folders at all. That's ok. Make sure the entire TWRP folder copies over
8. Once complete, go to Restore in TWRP and select your backup to restore
9. Reboot into system and you'll see everything is back to normal size.

There's probably a quicker way to get this done, but this worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007