Don't Update to Android 5 Lollipop, unless you hate yourself

fedya

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I had a feeling it was a bad idea, but I was bored so I updated my Nexus 4 to Lollipop, big mistake. They moved stuff around that didn't need to be moved around and broke simple things people use every day. This is a beta release at best, everyone should wait for the first few patches before even considering updating.

I've lived with this update for 3 days now and there are so many annoying things that **** me off I don't even know where to start, I'm sure I'll miss many of them. First thing I did was turn down the animation speeds to .5 because **** was just taking too long to do, still annoying. Then I turned all animations off... things were better unless you use the dialer. The dialer has a glitch where it freezes and waits for the nonexistent animation until it does anything, so you get a 1 second freeze before you answer a call etc... it makes using the dialer very annoying and this works fine with the animations on. The dialer itself is glitchy, for the first time ever I dialed a number and the dialer closed and went to the background, I opened it again and started dialing the number when I realized it already dialed it becasue there was a phone icon in the top bar... yeah..good job.

Where the hell did the calendar and alarm go? I was used to accessing my alarm from the pulldown, now I have to put a clock shortcut on my home screen. Same goes for the calendar. The calendar is also glitchy, it doesn't always save/update and when you lock/hit power your phone from an event view it glitches out to calendar view for a second before locking. Where did the preset notifcation times go? 10 minute 20, 30, 45, 1 hour??? You have to specify all of your notification times manually... what a royal pain.

Why the hell can't I disable swipe to unlock if I have a code/pattern?

These are just simple basic things and they managed to screw them up. Did anymore bother using the damn thing before they pushed the update out?

Just a plain old fail.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sad to see you're having so many issues with Lollipop. Sometimes that's why I'm grateful I don't own a Nexus. From what I've seen, Lollipop will annoy me too. I'm not a huge fan of the new redesign and path their guidelines are taking.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5, Android 5.0, and I rather like it. No significant problems.

Same here. I've been using Lollipop for a few weeks. Quite frankly, I can't relate to most of the "issues" some other posters aren't happy about. Lollipop is fast and smooth on my Nexus 5. I love its new features such as Smart Lock, Priority Interrupts and new notification shades. I'm a happy user. :)

clporritt

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5 and since the lollipop update, I've had nothing but issues. Some apps don't work, lagging system, apps and Internet freezes and random shutting off during use. Also, can't get it to connect to my work WiFi, battery doesn't last like it did before the update. I've tried flashing rebooting everything that I can possibly think of and nothing is fixed any of those issues.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5 and since the lollipop update, I've had nothing but issues. Some apps don't work, lagging system, apps and Internet freezes and random shutting off during use. Also, can't get it to connect to my work WiFi, battery doesn't last like it did before the update. I've tried flashing rebooting everything that I can possibly think of and nothing is fixed any of those issues.
Can I take it to mean you have also wiped everything out and cleanly flashed the Lollipop factory image onto your Nexus 5?

Last edited:

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
For the alarm part, when you pull down the notification shade, tap on your alarm detailed in the top left. Takes you straight to the app. I believe this might also work for the date/calendar. (But my phones across the room and I'm too lazy to confirm.)

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
For the alarm part, when you pull down the notification shade, tap on your alarm detailed in the top left. Takes you straight to the app. I believe this might also work for the date/calendar. (But my phones across the room and I'm too lazy to confirm.)
Just checked for you. Yes, it works for the date/calendar. :)

fedya

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
So, from the settings pulldown if you tap on the current alarm time it goes to alarm, if you tap on battery % it goes to Battery usage. If you tap on the time/clock it selects the whole top bar and goes to notifications, how is that at all consistent? I don't know how you guys are getting into the calendar, even if I tap on the clock on the home screen it goes to alarm/clock. I'm guessing from notifications?

Everything's still glitch for me with the animations off, I find new and annoying things every day. Having that brightness slider right in your face every time you pull down the settings menu is getting really annoying. I never use it and it takes up a lot of space which can be used for more important things. Overall there's too much padding around everything. Oh, and the default colors for the clock/alarm, blue and pink? What genius mind thought that was a brilliant move? The alarm timepicker selected color is plum, it's hard to see, at least keep it a consistent pink so you can see what you've selected.

The list goes on and on.... overall there seems to a lack of consistency.

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
So, from the settings pulldown if you tap on the current alarm time it goes to alarm, if you tap on battery % it goes to Battery usage. If you tap on the time/clock it selects the whole top bar and goes to notifications, how is that at all consistent? I don't know how you guys are getting into the calendar, even if I tap on the clock on the home screen it goes to alarm/clock. I'm guessing from notifications?

From the Calendar app icon on the home screen?

fedya

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
From the Calendar app icon on the home screen?

lol... yeah

To add to my list of annoying things, with animations off, if you tap a contact there's an animation wait fora second until a number is called... makes the phone seem unresponsive and it's starting to drive me nuts... at this point I'm just gonna put the animations at .5 just so I know wtf is going on.

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Only had 5.0.1 for a day.Nexus 7 2013 totally stock got the OTA update.
Hate it with a passion so far.
More sluggish than kk
1.4 m ram free on kk
1.2 m ram free on lollipop
Frame rate drop everywhere even rotating screen.
All games judder.
Scrolling web pages judder.
Screen captures are blurry.
Keyboard is horrible
No transparency bars make it look like a 5" screen not 7"
Sliding brightness it flickers.
Camera image is poor and grainy.
Accelerometer glitches for tilt control.
The swipe up to activate browser happens randomly when your nowhere near the bottom bar.Sometimes hitting v,b or n in the keyboard triggers it.It happens when I play online games like Dogfight which makes you loose connection with gaming servers.
Do yourselves a favour and wait for a new build.

taylor91593

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree, I've just updated to 5.0.1. on my Nexus 7 2013 and I hate it. It's so ugly, all of the animations are stupid and not needed. And why must settings be in white?! It's horrible. I've figured out how to make my keyboard darker, but the white in settings is not good. I'm thankful my app tray is still dark. I hope the update takes it's sweet time coming to my Droid Turbo because I don't want any part of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci