Why do I have a random, widespread contact joining after Nexus 5 upgrade to Lollipop & factory reset?

ronschaeffer

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Random, widespread contact joining after Nexus 5 upgrade to Lollipop & factory reset

Hello-

The Contacts app is joining contacts seeming randomly and on a large scale since updating my Nexus 5 to Lollipop and then later factory resetting it (after disappointment with the performance impact when I enabled encryption).

Contact joining is seemingly at random without any commonality between the contacts. For example, my mother’s contact (Firstname Lastname plus lots of phone and contact data, including cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com) has been joined with the contact Expensify (containing only the email address receipts@expensify.com). Many, many contacts are affected.

Prior to re-syncing after the factor reset, I hadn’t noticed any odd contact merging after the in-place OTA upgrade from KitKat to Lollipop.
I have twice tried clearing Contact Storage (data and cache), but the merges still happen. Oddly, the merges changed after the clearing and resync. For example, Stewart Exxxxxxxx was first merged with Christine Cxxxxxxxxx. After clearing and resync, Stewart Exxxxxxxx was then merged with Rentia Pxxxxxx, and Christine Cxxxxxxxxx was not merged with anything.
If I manually separate contacts, they stay separated.

The contacts look fine when view through Gmail on the web.

I don’t know if it’s a related issue, but my “ME” contact photo is not displayed. Previously it was automatically picked up from Google+.

Configuration:
- Contacts set to display only one Gmail (actually Google Apps) account and also Google+ for the same account
- Only My Contacts and Starred in Android selected
- Auto sync is turned on
- Google+ settings “Keep contacts up to date” and “Improve suggestions” are turned on (but turning them off has no apparent effect)
- 1,4xx contacts in the relevant Gmail account.

This is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

ReigerZA

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Random, widespread contact joining after Nexus 5 upgrade to Lollipop & factory reset

I'm experiencing the same annoying issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

ronschaeffer

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Random, widespread contact joining after Nexus 5 upgrade to Lollipop & factory reset

Well, I took the nuclear option to try to correct this issue: Factory reset again and this time choose not to restore from backup. That appears to have worked. Contacts are now correctly merged.

My local profile (ME) photo is still not syncing with my Google+ profile, but I can live with that.

ReigerZA

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, I took the nuclear option to try to correct this issue: Factory reset again and this time choose not to restore from backup. That appears to have worked. Contacts are now correctly merged.

My local profile (ME) photo is still not syncing with my Google+ profile, but I can live with that.

Even when deleting and re-adding my account and clearing all the data, the issue appears again. Doesn't seem to affect how numbers are displayed and linked on the server itself, it only seems to be affected in the app.

How will a complete wipe work otherwise to fix it? Don't want to go through all the trouble and have the same issue again :(

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon