Android 5.1

Fri 13

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone gotten 5.1 yet. Received 5.1 for Nexus 9, but nothing for Nexus 7. 2012 or 2013.
You mean 5.0.1? As 5.1 comes probably in next 9-12 months.

But no, Nexus 7 (2013) has not got the 5.0.1 version and even the cellular model hasn't received Android 5.0 at all. Maybe before Christmas or before New Year....

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I received the OTA 5.01 for my Nexus 7 (2013 - WiFi - 16GB) yesterday (it never received 5.0). Installed it, hated it, have already gone through the hassle of downgrading back to KitKat. I'm so glad I was able to complete that process successfully.

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I received the OTA 5.01 for my Nexus 7 (2013 - WiFi - 16GB) yesterday (it never received 5.0). Installed it, hated it, have already gone through the hassle of downgrading back to KitKat. I'm so glad I was able to complete that process successfully.
I was notified several days ago that 5.01 was ready to be installed on my Nexus 7 2013. I've held off, in part because I don't know how to go back to KitKat 4.4.4 if I don't like 5.01 (and in part because I'm perfectly happy with 4.4.4 and see nothing new in Lollipop that I need). But I'm curious--how did you go back to KitKat? Are you rooted? Is there a way to do this without being rooted?

braveit

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Now we have the lollipop version of android and I just bought my kit kat android device can anyone tell me if there is much difference between this kit kat and lollipop?

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I was notified several days ago that 5.01 was ready to be installed on my Nexus 7 2013. I've held off, in part because I don't know how to go back to KitKat 4.4.4 if I don't like 5.01 (and in part because I'm perfectly happy with 4.4.4 and see nothing new in Lollipop that I need). But I'm curious--how did you go back to KitKat? Are you rooted? Is there a way to do this without being rooted?
You just need to flash the factory images. They can be found, along with instructions, here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I am not rooted, and I am far from experienced at doing this stuff. I think some article here on AC linked to this page, which provided most of the roadmap: How to downgrade a Nexus to an older version of Android - AndroidPIT This worked for me on my PC, but I had to try a few times and figure out what was going wrong. (I think I twice did a restore of Lollipop before finally getting back to KitKat). Maybe others can zip through those instructions, but I'll try to remember how it went for me and give some elaboration below, FWIW.

To start, you have to download the Android 4.4.4 image and also the ADB Tools (links provided on that page). They are zip files, so expand them to some place you can find. What wasn't clear to me, but I think some commenter mentioned at the end of the article, is that you need to end up with the unzipped files from the image download (specifically for the N7, the "razor-ktu84p-factory-b1b2c0da.tar" file) into the "adb-tools" subfolder (within the "adb-tools_treiber" folder) that contains the "flash-all.bat" file.

For step 4, click on the link and follow the instructions on the linked page to unlock the bootloader. I think I failed to accomplish this the first couple of times. They don't show a screenshot, but when you do get the bootloader unlocked, there should be several lines of small text at the bottom of the N7 screen, the last of which should state "unlocked." If that is saying "locked," you haven't completed this step, so don't bother going further until you get that right.

After step 10 (and maybe 9), you have to wait a bit until you see confirmation on the screen that the wipe has been completed.

And sorry, my memory is not clear on one part of this, but it was maybe at step 12 (?) that it wasn't working for me, and I tried two other options that were shown on the N7 screen. One of them may have been something like "flash from bootloader" or "restore from bootloader" or similar. I tried that and it said I did not have the tools necessary to "sideload" the image. Then I tried one of the other options listed, and that worked.

Reading back through my comments, they are a bit sketchy! :( I guess my point is that the instructions on the page I linked to may have a few gaps, but on the whole they are decent, and with some careful attention, perseverance, and a bit of trial and error, they ended up working for me. There was never any point where the tablet wasn't working, it just restored to 5.0.1 a couple of times before I got it right. Good luck!

EDIT TO ADD: I did look at the instructions on the page that p3ntyne linked to right above my post. I did not find those sufficiently detailed for my personal level of inexperience and ignorance on these kinds of tasks.