Factory Reset Protection - Lollipop vaporware?

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Earlier in the year, my N7 LTE was stolen. After being notified by Android Device Manager, the thief called to negotiate a "reward." However, the scumbag evidently discovered how to factory reset the device from recovery, upon which he decided to just keep it (sell it to someone else?). Following that experience, I was very much looking forward to the promised 'factory reset protection' feature of Android 5.0. While Android seems to lead the pack in functionality, iOS has had this feature for quite some time, and it's been reported to result in a significant decline in phone theft.

This morning after persistent wifi connection issues, battery drain, lag, and random freezes/reboots, I decided to try a factory reset for my NVIDIA SHIELD LTE. Imagine my surprise when I was able to factory reset the device from recovery, no password required. Pouring through the settings after the reset, there was no indication of "kill switch" feature present. Google search yields a few other folks asking the same question, but no hint of an answer. Does anyone on here know/could they find out if this is still going to be a thing? The cynic in my believes that maybe the carriers muscled Google into leaving it out as part of their deals to carry the Nexus. I'm hoping it's still scheduled for a later release though. Thanks.

BG

Last edited:

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
If you Google it, most of the lollipop press coverage picked it up back in October as being part of the official announcement. I just assumed it would be in there since it's a pretty big change.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize that this could be done if you password protected the device. Makes encryption even more important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome