How do I disable the Mobile Networks on Android Lollipop?

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
how to disable Mobile Networks on Android Lollipop

In Settings, under the Wireless & Networks Section, there is no Mobile Networks ON/OFF selection to disable Mobile Networks. This was available in KitKat 4.4.4
I am running AOKP KitKat 4.4.4 on a Samsung Maguro Nexus phone.
I have not found any apps in the Google App Store that will work with Lollipop to disable Mobile Networks.

I did find out that if my SIM card is installed, then I can turn Cellular Data ON and OFF. This I found under Settings-->Data Usage section. If I remove the SIM card, Cellular Data section disappears; can't turn it ON or OFF. Have to have the SIM card installed.
KitKat did it differently. It has a separate Section under Settings; Mobile Networks, which can be turned ON and OFF, with or without the SIM card.

Last edited:

Ordwynac

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: how to disable Mobile Networks on Android Lollipop

In the quick settings drop down menu, there is an option to toggle on/off mobile networks.

EDIT: I use a T-Mobile Nexus 6 with Lollipop and the only other place I found to toggle cellular data on/off in Settings > Data Usage. This may vary with carrier and device. Hopefully this helps!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I found it BUT the phone has to have a SIM card installed, otherwise "Cellular Data" disappears in the Data Usage section. Strange how that works.
KitKat would let me know turn Cellular Data ON and OFF, with or without the SIM installed.

Ordwynac

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Tried it on my Nexus and yeah, it disappears with the sim card out. Makes sense...you have to be connected to a cellular tower to use cellular data :p

Nic Clay-Michael

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
On Lollipop, there are two ways that I've found to do this - one not so good but simple, one good and pretty simple too.

Not so good but simple is not to register your phone on any mobile network when you first get to the country. This may only work if youare on certain networks in your home country.

Good - go to quick settings and turn on aeroplane mode. Then, if you want to use WiFi, turn just that on. This leaves all the other radio comms.
Not fully investigated how this effects bluetooth, NFC etc. but it does what I need.

Nic

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1