Why is my nexus 7 not updating to lollipop?

maxxmitch14

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
So, my nexus five isn't getting pinged to update to lollipop. When I search for updates it says my device is currently up to date. I am still running 4.4. Thanks.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Careful what you wish for...

Meanwhile, I'm reading posts in these forums and elsewhere that seems to suggest that 5 has been completely pulled off the update cycle (after reports of, umm....issues with folks who went thru it) and that 5.0.1 is replacing it. That said, I'm also reading that some think that 5.0.1 is being pushed out to (at least initially) those who had gone thru the 5 update and would like some stable functionality restored.

So perhaps those who never went thru the 5 'upgrade' may have to wait a bit before they see 5.0.1?

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
okay let me get this straight i just bought a brand new nexus 5 and their is no L update so does it got pulled because of current issues with it and should be back up to update current nexus devices?

Lou Erdelyi

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
5.0.2 was released to fix some if not most of the issues from what I understand.... But I am still waiting for me OTA to kick in myself as I am stuck on 4.4.4 release. I have been holding off on using ADB as it would require a boot loader unlock and I would loose all my data.... :-(

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
5.0.2 was released to fix some if not most of the issues from what I understand.... But I am still waiting for me OTA to kick in myself as I am stuck on 4.4.4 release. I have been holding off on using ADB as it would require a boot loader unlock and I would loose all my data.... :-(

Ya I just got my nexus 5 downloaded and set up all my apps and accounts No way I'm using boot loader but its stupid! WHY CANT GOOGLE UPDATE ALL THEIR DEVICES at once? Because of servers? Pft if apple can do billion of devices I'm sure Google can handle updating all their nexus devices

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

My understanding is that 5.0.2 is for the Nexus 7 (2012 version) only and that 5.0.1 was for all others. I'm guessing there is something about the build hardware in the N7 (2012) that is unique to the device? Lollipop 5 was meant to cover all the bases, but then seems to have been released half baked - lots of reports of laggy, buggy, freezing, Chrome almost unusable - ditto the Facebook app - across the full range of Nexus devices - to the point that 5 was pulled in favour of fixes in 5.0.1. Now it seems like they (at least initially) releasing the 5.x.x to those who had already installed the 5 OTA. Others to follow - or maybe they'll just scrap that in favour of the (rumoured) 5.1 in February.

Mythul_ro

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I also have a Nexus 7 that didn't receive the 5.0 update. To be honest I got bored of waiting and just installed it manually. Took 10 minutes if you know what you are doing.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
They will be always some problems. If Google keeps slowly updating devices then pulling updates whenever there are issues devices will never get the lollipop update. My Nexus 7 never did and I had to sideload it and lose my data.

Apple handles backups and updates much better. I many times erased a device and it restored all my data except my music.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
They will be always some problems. If Google keeps slowly updating devices then pulling updates whenever there are issues devices will never get the lollipop update. My Nexus 7 never did and I had to sideload it and lose my data.

Apple handles backups and updates much better. I many times erased a device and it restored all my data except my music.

If data is stored in a cloud, it's safe and will never be lost. I don't get why folks refuse to use free cloud sync. If Apple never losses data (even if not sunc'd data), they most likely sync if before doing extensive updated. I've done countless factory resets, etc. and have yet to lose anything. I don't even think about it

I'm also waiting on 2013 Nexus7 update but I'd rather get a polished update then a rushed one

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
My story, Nexus 7(2013):

I initially go the 5.0 update a month ago, downloaded it locally. Sat on it for a while then one day it's gone. Apparently Google has the power to remove my locally downloaded OS update. Given what I've heard about 5.0 it was for the best.

But since then(all of December) no 5.0.1 even though I hear Nexus 7(2012) is getting it.

Lou Erdelyi

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Well I have a 2012 nexus 7 so maybe in the next few months they will have what ever is wrong fixed. I also have an S5 but have no hopes of getting lollipop on that thing for at least another 3 or more months given the history of Samsung updates.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Google at least should make it easier to sideload the update without erasing everything since there backup service stinks the big one.