still able to uninstall bloatware w/Lollipop?

iFortWorth

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I believe that I read after Lollipop was announced that one of the "features" was the ability to remove one's preinstalled bloatware that comes on just about every carrier bought smartphone (except iPhone). Was just wondering if that is still in the final build that was sent to phone manufacturs by HTC?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pre-installed bloatware is normally installed as system apps, and the phone has to be rooted to uninstall a system app, no matter what version of Android it's running. Android runs on Linux, it doesn't run Linux (so Linux rules still apply).

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
That article is incomplete, it doesn't mention that the carrier had to install their bw in a specific portion of the system to allow it to be uninstalled. Obviously none of them did or will.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if older phones updated to Lollipop will take advantage of this.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know it's just an available feature for OEMs and carriers; I don't think they're required to use it. It would be nice if they did, though.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As I said, an app installed as a system app needs root to uninstall it. This article really has nothing to do with Lollipop, it has to do with Verizon. They're going to install some bloatware as non-system apps. That's about as major an announcement as the one I read that rain is actually just water falling from the sky. Now I'm going to go and get all excited about it.

[2 microseconds later] Okay, I got excited, now I'm back to my normal self. (Trust me, it wasn't worth wasting 2 microseconds on it. Anyone who knows anything about how Android works knows that you don't need root to uninstall a non-system app.) Kris Carlton must have been unable to find anything to write about last month.

daerragh

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You could also just disable the apps in app manager in settings, so it does not consume syste resources except for storage. I do this with apps I don't use but can't uninstall like Drive.