My Nexus 5 just factory reset itself automatically, all my data's gone. Is it possible to retrieve the data?

Pimn

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 5 just factory reset itself automatically, all my data's gone.

I went to bed and when i woke up, boom!! all my data's gone and i have to set everything again from the beginning. Anyone has the same problem?

At first i thought it was updating automatically but i've check the version and it's still the same version so no update, just reset.

My phone is Nexus 5, Android Lollipop 5.0.1. I've been using this phone for a year and everything went smooth.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Nexus 5 just factory reset itself automatically, all my data's gone.

Welcome to Android Central! We hear about that kind of behavior from time to time here, regardless of the device. It sounds like some kind of catastrophic glitch--hard to know if it was a problem with an app that was installed that was causing instability, or the firmware itself, or the hardware. Be cautious going forward, and make sure you're regularly backing up or syncing your data. If this happens again, contact Google to see what they can do for you: https://support.google.com/nexus/?hl=en#topic=3415518

Any data you had stored locally prior to the glitch is lost. Hopefully, you had most of the important data set to sync with Google, or backed up somewhere.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

I went to bed and when i woke up, boom!! all my data's gone and i have to set everything again from the beginning. Anyone has the same problem?

At first i thought it was updating automatically but i've check the version and it's still the same version so no update, just reset.

My phone is Nexus 5, Android Lollipop 5.0.1. I've been using this phone for a year and everything went smooth.

That sucks, man.
Most of your settings and apps are definitely safe because they are always backed up in the cloud. I hope you use cloud for pictures, contacts and documents as well so they should be safe too.
I don't even think about it because I know that I will never lose anything. If I get a new device, I factory reset the old one without hesitation

Danny Long2

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Your apps are backed up but not your in app settings so for example all the apps where you need a username and password will need signing in again starbucks your card will need configuring again etc. Also home page layouts gone.

Google are lazy or incompetent or maybe both and can't implement a back up and restore as good as iOS

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeekoyi

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I too had the issue today. I checked the time and kept in my pocket before starting my jog and after 30 mins when I take it out, it is erasing itself.
My contacts, pictures were all backed up with the cloud, but all my app settings were lost!! And this really sucks!!!! I hope to get all the settings back in some time, but it means a waste of great deal of time. All Google needs to is enforce apps have a backup and restore API which needs to be called by the system and store them in the cloud. After going through this, Apple seems better, heck even Nokia Symbian was better !!! :eek::eek: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Florian Bachmann

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Already happened second time for me too!!!!!!11 That sucks!!
Any suggestions for the future? Would you change to another ROM than stock? I already habe unlocked bootloader and since I have to reconfigure my complete phone now, it seems the right time for me...

Arturo Ferracuti

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
hey man, the same thing happened today on my Nexus 6. I grabbed it and it was like new, literally. I plugged it to the PC with USB and I noticed that the hard drive was still in use, but all the folders were empty. I rebooted the phone and it all came back :D

IgnazioC

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Dams it happens three times in two months.
Being outside and found yourself without cellphone is annoying and -sometime- dangerous :(

does someone have any suggestion?

Kuram9

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
THANKS for posting!!
I have a LG NEXUS 5S - less than a year old
It just happened to me the first time and it freaked me out.
I reset the phone and everything came back as it were!!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams