Why there is an exclamation mark beside wifi in lollipop 5.0.2 ?

Wreetojyoti Ray

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Since my phone got updated to lollipop 5.0.2 from kitkat I am noticing there's always an exclamation (!) mark beside the wifi sign above. why is that ? My wifi seems to work fine. I can access the internet so as google pages. Everything seems to be ok but why still this sign ?

Thongbl

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Same thing here, in Malaysia. It seems that when the exclamation sign appears, there is a wifi connection problem and your mobile data takes over. I have been logged in to my home wifi since last night, and didn't notice any connection issues. Then I noticed that my moto g had sucked up 21MB data even though connected to wifi. I turned off mobile data after that, but suffered no problems in connectivity. The exclamation mark still appears...

I've tried going through solutions on the net for hours but to no avail. Tried the setting up new user method, that didn't work. Only thing left is a factory reset, but I read another user's experience that it didn't work for him. So I'm reluctant to try, since it will be such a pain to have to back up all my data before the factory reset.

You said you have no issues with connectivity, but did lollipop sneakily put you on to your mobile data? You'd better check.

Ive seen some comments mentioning that the exclamation mark appears when the device is not able to connect to google servers. But I'm still able to access playstore. I'm really stumped, I'd leave it alone since I can still get a wifi connection despite the exclamation mark, but I really don't want to have to manually disable my mobile data every time I connect to wifi...

Anyone got anything?

Thongbl

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Javier, but those steps didn't work for me. After I created a new user, and restarted the phone, the exclamation mark was still there. I was out earlier and the exclamation mark also showed at a cafe's wifi.

I've gone through android updates from ics to now lollipop, and this is by far the worst update ever. My phone is laggy at times and overheats. Battery life is also reduced from kit kat. I am guessing these are to do with the connectivity problem, hope they solve the issue and give us a stable update soon.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You could try to wipe the cache partition. No personal data will be lost and it's a good thing to do after a system update.

Check first how to do that in your phone. Most likely the process changed after Lollipop (it did in my phone).

In the other thread I posted a link to a Google forum. Some people fixed their problem changing the DNS configuration. Worth a try. I think the xda fix was mainly for people using Google servers in China.

Good luck.

replybobby

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I have found the solution - read on....

I had upgraded to the lollypop (MotoG-2Gen), looked really good until I found that my mobile data does not function, it had an exclamation mark on the network icon and once wifi is turned ON, exclamation icon shifts from network icon to wifi icon. Wifi works fine but not mobile data. Tried power off, factory reset, every trick of the trade, nothing worked until I tried the last step that fixed it. Hurray!

Removed the sim card and reinserted into the other slot, and this FIXED it !!
Do let me know if anyone found it helpful? Resolved yours?

You could try to wipe the cache partition. No personal data will be lost and it's a good thing to do after a system update.

Check first how to do that in your phone. Most likely the process changed after Lollipop (it did in my phone).

In the other thread I posted a link to a Google forum. Some people fixed their problem changing the DNS configuration. Worth a try. I think the xda fix was mainly for people using Google servers in China.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
The exclamation point next to your Wi-Fi/cellular signal indicator means that you're connected to the network, but don't have Internet access.

Posted via Android Central App

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
The exclamation point next to your Wi-Fi/cellular signal indicator means that you're connected to the network, but don't have Internet access.

Exactly right.

I have Xfinity (Comcast) at home. Whenever I'm out and about, if there is an active Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot, it connects to the network but I have to "sign in" to verify my account before I get access to data. Before I sign in, the exclamation mark appears. Once I confirm my identity, the exclamation mark disappears.

Robby Vijayakumar

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I have found the solution - read on....

I had upgraded to the lollypop (MotoG-2Gen), looked really good until I found that my mobile data does not function, it had an exclamation mark on the network icon and once wifi is turned ON, exclamation icon shifts from network icon to wifi icon. Wifi works fine but not mobile data. Tried power off, factory reset, every trick of the trade, nothing worked until I tried the last step that fixed it. Hurray!

Removed the sim card and reinserted into the other slot, and this FIXED it !!
Do let me know if anyone found it helpful? Resolved yours?

This really worked...

Mike Clement

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Relax for a bit there dude. Yesterday I upgraded and the exclamation marks were not there at first. Then they came on both the WiFi and mobile network icons a few hours later. I tried to get rid of them by turning the WiFi and mobile data on and off, restarting and changing the SIM to the other slot (obviously if you don't have a dual SIM phone that won't work) but they stayed. Then mysteriously a few more hours later they vanished and appear to be gone for good. WiFi, mobile network and mobile data all worked fine the entire time they were there. Hopefully your phone will do the same. I have a Moto G in the Lao PDR.

Last edited:

Gautamee Earl

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site

Alex, I am sending this message. Over WiFi with the exclamation on WiFi signal, so it is not the issue with internet connection.

SUSHANT S

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
After Lollypop upgradation 5.0.2 to my Moto G mobile, I am unable to connect to Wifi Network. It keeps on trying to connect but the connection never happens. Cna anybody plz help me to fix this issue. i have tried all possible scenarios like Phone reboot, Wifi on-off but still unable to connect to Wifi Network.

Plz assist me on it.
Thanks

Farvardin Saadat

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Relax for a bit there dude. Yesterday I upgraded and the exclamation marks were not there at first. Then they came on both the WiFi and mobile network icons a few hours later. I tried to get rid of them by turning the WiFi and mobile data on and off, restarting and changing the SIM to the other slot (obviously if you don't have a dual SIM phone that won't work) but they stayed. Then mysteriously a few more hours later they vanished and appear to be gone for good. WiFi, mobile network and mobile data all worked fine the entire time they were there. Hopefully your phone will do the same. I have a Moto G in the Lao PDR.

I have the same problem with my Moto G 2d generation. I think this is a bug in Android lollipop.

Chandrika Bhardwaj

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Owner of moto G-- wifi and sim icons had exclamation marks. Tired switch off rule. Toggled on and off for wifi and sims in all combinations. Nothing worked.

What worked --- taking out the sim cards. wifi sorted instantaneously. :)

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2012 tablet both with these problems. With the phone when the exclamation point is next to WIFI it will not use it and instead use LTE. The only way to get WIFI to work is by turning off LTE. Every once in a while the phone fixes itself and the exclamation point disappears only to return hours later. When LTE is off WIFI works perfectly but the exclamation point remains.

My Nexus 7 was updated a few months later and as soon as the update was finished the exclamation point appeared immediately. The tablet was very laggy, and I don't have many apps on it so I did a factory reset. After the reset the exclamation point disappeared - for two days before returning. This tablet does not have a sim it is WIFI only so there is no sim to remove.

I think this problem is Google's to fix.

Auro_m

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi my Moto G Gen 1 was facing some problems with my home wifi (like being connected but internet not working) with kitkat. But this was solvable since I just turned the wifi off and on on my phone. Now, since I have upgraded to Lollipop, the problem seems to be unsolvable. I couldn't connect properly so I tried forgetting my home network. After forgetting the network, I cant seem to catch my home wifi again. It wont even show up on my phone. Tried deleting all saved networks but still wont work. Its working fine on my other phone and on my laptop but somehow moto G lollipop doesnt pick up the wifi connection at all. Tried changing the SSiD of the wifi as well ! Please help !!

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried to add the network SSID manually? Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Add Network.