Why don't they put roll back feature in developer menu?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I wish Google allowed a rollback feature in developer menu so that people unhappy with upgrading can go back. I know Google wants people to use the latest versions but if they put it under the developer section would give determined and experienced android users access of rolling back to at least the version that came with the phone. Also, putting rollback options under developer options as opposed to the front end would prevent the 'casual rollbacks' that Google is worried about. I have HTC one m8 and I'm on lollipop but wish I could go back to version 4.4.3 as that had the best battery life. Before, I could use my phone all day with GPS and location services on and with 'heavy use' and still have juice left at the end of the day. With lollipop I now have to take my charger with me. Also I don't think it always pays to be an early adopter of new versions. HTC have this 90 day promise to update but I think as a end user that might create problems especially with new versions like lollipop as they are probably rushing to meet the deadlines...I'm sure down the road lollipop will become better optimised for my phone, but for now, short of rooting I have to wait untill that happens.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's a little problem - roll back to what? The old version isn't there any more - it's been replaced by the new version. Every carrier would have to have a rollback function to allow the phone to request an installation of the earlier version. (And it would have to be just the system files that were replaced, like in an update, or you'd lose everything, like when you flash a ROM.)

And some phones (Samsungs on AT&T and Verizon, for example) can't be rolled back to an earlier major version. IOW, you can roll back from 5.0.1 to 5.0, but not to 4.4.4. (There's a "major version number" location in the phones that can't be decremented, only incremented, and it increments for every major update. One of the many reasons MANY people on AT&T and Verizon will never buy a Samsung phone again. [Is this getting as far as South Korea, people? And are you listening? Do the words "locked bootloader" give you nightmares?])

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree! IMHO, Google needs to build that into the OS like Microsoft does with Windows so users have more control over the update process. In the event you do choose to update there should be an option to roll back whether it's a patch or an entire OS upgrade.

As it is now, without root and killing the updater, you're at the mercy of Google, the OEM, or your carrier. Your device may get updated in the middle of the night (or worse; a time when you need to use it) whether you wanted it to or not. Many times that results in the user spending an inordinate amount of unplanned time troubleshooting and trying to fix a problem the update introduced to what was otherwise previously a problem free working device. In the end you're left with little recourse due to Google's limited built-in options. :(

As such Android is an imature OS at best IMHO.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? Google puts factory images up online before they even roll out to most phones. 10 minutes learning ADB and Fastboot and you've got any version of Android you want on your phone.

Now, what you're REALLY asking is why don't carriers and OEM's offer the same service, and come on really. You know the answer to that already.