Youtube background listening option removed!

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I really liked this back in December, but with the Lollipop updates Google removed it. Was it because it was killing batteries? I use Youtube a lot to listen to videos that are like podcasts and background listening is really nice for me. Google should let it be my choice instead of just removing a feature.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Still works for me. Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.0.1. Maybe try cache clear on app, cache clear from recovery. Last thing to try would be a factory reset. Also, it only works with All Access or the YouTube subscription.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This background option should work without All Access... :( Offline I get, but background listening should be there for everything. I guess it's their way of selling the new YouTube music service.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
This background option should work without All Access... :( Offline I get, but background listening should be there for everything. I guess it's their way of selling the new YouTube music service.

Yes! They removed it so in order to get it you have to buy the Youtube music service. It's not enough bennies for Google that I'm paying for their Music service! Greed.

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes! They removed it so in order to get it you have to buy the Youtube music service. It's not enough bennies for Google that I'm paying for their Music service! Greed.

I'm only paying for All Access Music. It IS included with that. I was using it this morning.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Like antilles says, if you are paying for All Access (Music), you SHOULD have this, but it also means that your device needs to be supported. For some reason, some devices are not 'compatible'. For instance, the new GMail app can add Outlook accounts in Nexus phones, but install that on a Note 4 and the option is gone.

smoledman

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Like antilles says, if you are paying for All Access (Music), you SHOULD have this, but it also means that your device needs to be supported. For some reason, some devices are not 'compatible'. For instance, the new GMail app can add Outlook accounts in Nexus phones, but install that on a Note 4 and the option is gone.

How can the Nexus 7 not be compatible? I do have the All Access pass and I did have background listening in December. Then one some later update of the Youtube app it simply disappeared.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if it'll work, but for instance, YouTube has a nasty bug where 1080p (or 720p sometimes) playback disappears from the device after an update. Most people are able to fix this by clearing the app's data and cache. Might want to try that and see if it helps with that option. Again, this fix is for the 1080p missing option, but it MIGHT help your case.