Lollipop Bug? Always Listening feature constantly turning on; interrupting music playback & browsing

J_McRae

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Lollipop Bug? Always Listening feature constantly turning on; interrupting music playback & browsing

Searching google isn't helping so thought I'd try a forum; here's the problem:

I have a Nexus 5 running version 5.0.1 lollipop. Recently (last 2-3 weeks?) the Always Listening feature has been turning itself on without cause in rapid succession (it will start itself say, 12 consecutive times in about 3 seconds, for example. That will happen multiple times throughout the day).

When it does this, it interrupts whatever else is going on (music playback, browsing, etc).

Sometimes it will think its "hearing me" and interrupt with "What's that? I didn't hear you". Other times it doesn't say anything, but makes the notification sound to tell you its listening and takes over the screen. It seems to happen most frequently when I am listening to music.

I have no idea what is going on and am surely not tech saavy at all (first time posting here also, so apologies if I'm not up to speed on etiquette and protocols).

Other related problems that began occurring around the same time:
*when listening to music on SoundCloud or other apps, songs will sometimes stop without finishing and randomly jump to a different song in the playlist. This is unusal in my experience with SoundCloud.

*During phone calls my mic will mute itself randomly

*Opening the Google Now Launcher will shut down any music that is playing and close the app

*Far more call drops than usual​

What I've done so far:

*disabled Ok Google detection
*disabled voice search for hands free
*run malware scan (nothing was found)​

I have no idea what's next - any tips on how to fix this or insight as to what is causing it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lollipop Bug? Always Listening feature constantly turning on; interrupting music playback & brow

I have a Nexus 5 running version 5.0.1 lollipop. Recently (last 2-3 weeks?) the Always Listening feature has been turning itself on without cause in rapid succession (it will start itself say, 12 consecutive times in about 3 seconds, for example. That will happen multiple times throughout the day).

When it does this, it interrupts whatever else is going on (music playback, browsing, etc).

Sometimes it will think its "hearing me" and interrupt with "What's that? I didn't hear you". Other times it doesn't say anything, but makes the notification sound to tell you its listening and takes over the screen. It seems to happen most frequently when I am listening to music.

I have no idea what is going on and am surely not tech saavy at all (first time posting here also, so apologies if I'm not up to speed on etiquette and protocols).

*when listening to music on SoundCloud or other apps, songs will sometimes stop without finishing and randomly jump to a different song in the playlist. This is unusal in my experience with SoundCloud.

*Opening the Google Now Launcher will shut down any music that is playing and close the app

What I've done so far:

I have no idea what's next - any tips on how to fix this or insight as to what is causing it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

that's strange. my suggestion would be to do what you've already done - disabling detection, voice search, and run malware scan. i don't know what else it could be. if all else fails i would simply do a hard reset back to factory fresh state and then manually resintall resync and re-set up settings. make sure all of your data is backed up first. yes i know it's a PIA but i always like to do this process after every major OS update and start fresh. good luck and keep us posted.

J_McRae

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lollipop Bug? Always Listening feature constantly turning on; interrupting music playback & brow

that's strange. my suggestion would be to do what you've already done - disabling detection, voice search, and run malware scan. i don't know what else it could be. if all else fails i would simply do a hard reset back to factory fresh state and then manually resintall resync and re-set up settings. make sure all of your data is backed up first. yes i know it's a PIA but i always like to do this process after every major OS update and start fresh. good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Gekko,

Thank you for your suggestion - I really appreciate it! I am going to try the reset I think; I'll report back. Thanks!

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

What I've done so far:

Yes, I have the same issue on Nexus 6. About 3-4 times per day it just beeps and turns on the screen waiting for a phrase. And yes, it even happens during YouTube video playback. Annoying if you ask me but I've read that Google fixed some voice control issues in 5.1 and I'm sure that's one of them

J_McRae

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site

Hi Gekko,

Thank you for your suggestion - I really appreciate it! I am going to try the reset I think; I'll report back. Thanks!

Gekko, I did the factory reset and everything is working beautifully. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. And thanks to Google's (maybe concerning?) deep integration across all platforms and services, the reset only took about 30 minutes and all of my data, contacts and apps were restored exactly as they were (minus the glitchy-ness!).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Gekko, I did the factory reset and everything is working beautifully. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. And thanks to Google's (maybe concerning?) deep integration across all platforms and services, the reset only took about 30 minutes and all of my data, contacts and apps were restored exactly as they were (minus the glitchy-ness!).

nice. congrats. i'm glad it worked.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

Wait, factory reset solved your random google search activation?

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I've been experiencing this too. Perhaps I'll have to do that factory reset after all.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Nothing is fixed on my N6 running latest Android and recently reset. Its actually got worse now, activates in almost complete silence