What if Lollipop bricks my device?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2 months old Xperia Z2 which runs very smooth on Kitkat 4.4.4. I am probably going to update to Lollipop when it comes out as a system update, however, I am very scared of it bricking my device. Is it possible? I plan to do a factory reset after the update, but still...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If an over the air update bricks the phone (I've had it happen to 2 phones), bring it to the carrier. They bricked it, they own it. (Both of mine were so badly bricked that they had to be replaced. I don't keep my phone on a charger whenever it's not on my belt, and the battery died while it was updating during the night some time. Result - flashing a ROM always failed. Probably damaged a cell in storage.)

Not that it happens often, but if it does just bring it in and tell them that after it updated it stopped working, went into a bootloop, whatever happened, and would they please fix or replace it.

BTW, after the update, first try clearing the cache. That might be enough, you won't have to do a factory reset and restore all your backups.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
My phone is bought from Amazon, so I can't bring it anywhere if it gets bricked. Also, does a factory reset automatically wipes the cache and can only a cache wipe brick the device?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital