How do I do a factory reset?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: how to factory reset

Settings/Backup & Reset/ then select factory reset.

Make sure you have backup my data enabled. Also make sure you Gmail, Contacts, Photos are sync'd up with your Google Account under Settings/Accounts & sync and/or loaded off your phone to your computer. You can export Contacts to a file and reload and same goes for pictures or allow Google to back them up (which is always a given for most).

Text messages can be saved using a free app called SMS Backup & Restore found in the Google Play Store.

If you have a SDCARD installed it shouldn't touch that but for safety you may wish to unmount or remove the card.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

Thanks a lot for your reply,but you mention that load off to my comp.I don't have a safe comp. the one I have my Google Account is corrupted and I don't want that to transferred to my phone.Can I proceed without the comp.?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

You can but if you don't have things backed up you will lose whatever isn't saved or sync'd.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

is there much of a chance that something goes wrong during factory reset and I lose the ability to even use the browser to get to Gmail and stock email ? My only reason for reseting is that during o r after Android 5.0 upgrade my Gmail app. would not open the account?All other things are functioning properly.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

is there much of a chance that something goes wrong during factory reset and I lose the ability to even use the browser to get to Gmail and stock email ? My only reason for reseting is that during o r after Android 5.0 upgrade my Gmail app. would not open the account?All other things are functioning properly.
Factory reset shouldn't cause something to stop functioning. It will reset the device nothing more.

If your having problems with GMail itself, you can try to go into Settings/ Apps and under the ALL tab, find GMAIL. Then uninstall all GMAIL updates, clear data/cache on the GMAIL app and then try logging back into Gmail and see if the app is working.

Might be worth doing that before going the full factory reset over just one app.

iloz

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I tried it all and it does not work.I have been with this problem for weeks now whitout any success.I had a lot of help from other Board leaders but could not help.Something must have happened somewhere that prevents the Gmail app. to open.It opens to an Intro.scene "New in Gmail".Strangely I can get into my Gmail account through the Browser,but not the Gmail app.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

In that case... If your willing to give it a go and you have saved any/all important info from your device then maybe a factory reset will do the trick.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63