So many Bugs after upgrade to Lollipop 5.0.1 - I9500, can I get some help getting rid of them?

abhi2313

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
So Many Bugs After upgrade to Lollipop 5.0.1 - I9500

1. Battery Drain, Device Overheats -> Happens whenever I enable mobile data , I was not facing this when I was with 4.4.2

2. Contacts app crashes frequently -> No reason at least 5 to 6 times a days it crashes i.e. a message will be displayed saying " contacts app crashed "

3. Touchwiz UI crashes too very frequently when ever touchwiz will crash my home screen wallpaper is gone -> Happens If I enable power saver, If I enable the power saver for at least 2 hrs then it happens.., some times with out reason it crashes

4. Issues with logging into device when try to unlock with a password, Keyboard disappears not at lock screen even when we are in middle of typing a text. abnormal lag

5. Ringtone Volume : Ringtone Volume will automatically decrease . I often observes this as when I set the ringtone volume to 80% + and will enable mobile data / wifi / bluetooth after few hrs if I disable the same I found that my ringtone volume is decreased to 20% . Some times if I launch games then I feel the same.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: So Many Bugs After upgrade to Lollipop 5.0.1 - I9500

1. Battery Drain, Device Overheats -> Happens whenever I enable mobile data , I was not facing this when I was with 4.4.2

2. Contacts app crashes frequently -> No reason at least 5 to 6 times a days it crashes i.e. a message will be displayed saying " contacts app crashed "

3. Touchwiz UI crashes too very frequently when ever touchwiz will crash my home screen wallpaper is gone -> Happens If I enable power saver, If I enable the power saver for at least 2 hrs then it happens.., some times with out reason it crashes

4. Issues with logging into device when try to unlock with a password, Keyboard disappears not at lock screen even when we are in middle of typing a text. abnormal lag

5. Ringtone Volume : Ringtone Volume will automatically decrease . I often observes this as when I set the ringtone volume to 80% + and will enable mobile data / wifi / bluetooth after few hrs if I disable the same I found that my ringtone volume is decreased to 20% . Some times if I launch games then I feel the same.

with every Letter OS Update i always do a full hard reset back to factory fresh state and then manually resync and reinstall everything. i like to start fresh, erase any residual files/data from the old OS, etc. it's a PIA but the performance gain is worth it IMO. make sure all of your data is backed up first with Google, Dropbox, etc.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-i-do-factory-reset-after-5-0-ota-update.html

Nodogs

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

This is a joke. How many hours is an average user supposed to spend reformatting and installing suit for their phones. Seriously sine I upgraded to lollipop two weeks ago I have spent hours trying to get things back. Can someone please point me to a place that give actual technical.support from the jack wagons who made this software

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

This is a joke. How many hours is an average user supposed to spend reformatting and installing suit for their phones. Seriously sine I upgraded to lollipop two weeks ago I have spent hours trying to get things back. Can someone please point me to a place that give actual technical.support from the jack wagons who made this software
What "reformatting and installing"? You're beta testing without getting paid for it. By the time Android 6 comes out, most of the bugs in 5 will be fixed.

It's not the engineers' fault - Marketing gives them a release date and whether the firmware is done or not, it's released. Google used to be a great company, now it's like all the others - if it's good enough to make a profit, it's good enough. (And since most people think that bugs are just a normal part of phones and computers, they keep drinking the Kool Aid.).

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

What "reformatting and installing"? You're beta testing without getting paid for it. By the time Android 6 comes out, most of the bugs in 5 will be fixed.

It's not the engineers' fault - Marketing gives them a release date and whether the firmware is done or not, it's released. Google used to be a great company, now it's like all the others - if it's good enough to make a profit, it's good enough. (And since most people think that bugs are just a normal part of phones and computers, they keep drinking the Kool Aid.).

Thank you! I am so tired of people patting me on the head and saying, "That's how it always is with new updates. Don't worry, they'll get it fixed," at some as yet to be determined date, evidently. Why do people accept this? An occasional hiccup, yes. But accepting a phone where you can't perform certain basic functions or, in some cases, is nearly unusable due to the problems it has. Would we accept a car that worked fine, as long as we don't put it in reverse? Or one that will function properly only if we turn off the air bags?

Why not let all those naysayers who tell me not to worry be Google's volunteers to beta test their OS. I will gladly be a year behind them and get the version that has been tested and fixed so it will work properly. Just don't send me any updates until you have the problems ironed out first, okay?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

my Nexus 5 runs fine with Lollipop. hence - i blame user error first. start fresh and also consider your old apps and settings may not be yet compatible with the new major OS update. to do otherwise and complain is foolish. these are complicated supercomputers in your pocket performing millions of calculations per second. smooth operation is subject to the apps and settings you have installed - garbage in - garbage out. they are worthy of at least a little effort as opposed to stomping your feet on the ground and having a tantrum demanding perfection with no effort. start fresh and evaluate your apps/settings and you should have no problems.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

Gekko---No doubt there are many cases of user error or unwillingness to do what you need to do to get a clean install. That's why, when I call a company for tech support they start out by asking me to do the most basic things (even when I tell them I've already done all of it). Their experience tells them that sometimes people fail to follow directions or to remember the basics. Not once have any of those suggestions worked, because I use common sense, follow directions, do research, exhaust all possibilities before calling for help. But I'm sure that for many people that's all it takes. It's just a logical way of troubleshooting any issue---start with the the simplest fix first and work from there. When someone is insulted by that process, it's not reasonable.

However, while it is necessary to rule out human error, I believe there are legitimate problems that need to be fixed in Lollipop. That's why Google is coming out (soon, I hope) with a major update. It's not just about enhancements, there are also things that need fixed.

Heather Dawn

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
I know that this isn't the ideal response to your question about the bugs, but I was in the same boat after giving in and updating my phone to Lollipop about a week ago. My battery was draining too fast, my contacts and System UI kept crashing. I couldn't hit my recent apps or my home button without my phone freezing and going into a frenzy reopening and closing my apps. I have been going through these forums looking for some way to be able to fix these ridiculous problems, and the only answer I kept getting was that I had to do a factory reset on my phone. I (probably similar to you) was not happy with that response. I shouldn't have had to reset my entire phone in order for one of Samsung's updates to work. I did end up doing it, I completed it this morning. Google and Cloud made it really easy for me to get all of my information back. It did take about an hour for my phone to finish installing all of my old apps onto my phone. Other than my settings, everything is back to normal. And the Lollipop update is working perfectly. Like I said, if you wanted to stick with lollipop this is the way to go. But if you were looking to revert back to Kit Kat there are plenty of tutorials on the web now to get you through it. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't necessarily think that having to do a factory reset is unreasonable. I understand the extra work it entails, but I'd much rather start with a fresh slate. I've had to reformat my computer in the past and reload software on occasion---a far more demanding task than I would consider resetting my phone---and, while I didn't enjoy it, it was a necessary process. If that's what it takes, so be it. But maybe Google needs to make sure that people know that will be part of the process to get the latest OS on their phone. Then each person should be able to make an informed decision on whether to go ahead or not. Presuming that everyone knows everything there is to know about Android software and phones and the updating process without informing them ahead of time doesn't work.

I still maintain, however, that once someone does do the factory reset and apply the update as directed, it should work. My purchase of an Android phone does not constitute an agreement to trouble shoot your product for you.