Can I get some help with an HTC M8 Hotspot problem?

ajmclachlan

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
HTC M8 Hotspot problem

I suspect that my problem is a result of install of Lollipop hence the post here. HTC have no knowledge of the problem.

Phone: HTC_M8
Software: Android 5.0.1, 4.18.708.12
Problem: Can't connect to internet via mobile data hotspot.
I can access the internet from the phone. I can connect to the phone via phone's hotspot. I cannot access internet via hotspot, neither can others.

I've tried to resolve including factory reset of phone. I've been to HTC support. I've confirmed that Telstra do not block hotspot connection.

Any info to resolve appreciated.

Andrew

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC M8 Hotspot problem

Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Hotspot, and select the option to set it up. See what happens if you change its security to None temporarily--can you now successfully tether?

ajmclachlan

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried this both before and after the hard reset and no joy. The problem remains that I can actually connect to the hotspot, but without internet access.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Inform your carrier. They might have messed up their Lollipop update, resulting in this problem.

leonship

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site

I to have the same problem since lollipop update 5.0.1. As I imported my m8 from Hong Kong they (HTC Hong Kong) say it appears it may be a hardware issue and ship it back to HTC Hong Kong for repair and at least 3weeks turn around. No loan available and I can not run my business without it so will have to buy a cheapie to use while this happens. Check out Motorola Moto G from Costco $238. My insurance excess if covered would be $250 so I guess this is my only option. My old phone (HTC Sensation) unfortunately does not work. Any other ideas?

ajmclachlan

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for your post. My phone too was from Hong Kong. Could be the vital element.

I've now been to HTC, HTC USA, my carrier, Telstra (twice). HTC refer me to a phone repairer however I can't see how it could be hardware related.

Posted via the Android Central App

syon16734

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem (unlocked HTC one M8 on telstra). Similarly, I can connect via wifi or USB but cant use the internet on the computer. I've also done trouble shooting with HTC up to the factory reset with no luck. Wondering if anyone has come across a fix?

To add to the complexity I've noticed if i set up the USB share with my phone connected to WiFi then my laptop can use the internet through the phone. Only have an issue when phone is on mobile data.

Cheers!

P.s Phone was purchase directly through HTC while I was in the USA if that adds anything to the Hong Kong line of thought.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech