Lollipop 5.1: What Do You Think?

Grudkin

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Just received 5.1 on my nexus 7 2012 yesterday morning, so far it has performed much better than 5.0 and 5.0.2 after a Factory data reset.

Posted via the Android Central App

Newport Dave

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Just opened my Nexus 10 for the first time in a while and noticed a download notification for 5.1. Nothing happened though when I pressed the download button, it's now disappeared altogether. Also checked settings, and I'm still on 5.0.2 in case it'd downloaded in the background.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
As the new android 5.1 lets your volume button to access notifications volume, visible while playing music. It allows you to adjust it, without fiddling with your music, or having to browse menus. I feel this one was a better change from the previous one.

Ashley Hayes1

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Received the update last night. Didn't notice much difference and it was fine until I almost didn't wake up this morning. The alarm was only vibrating with no sound. I was lucky I woke up. Other sounds were not working on media, calls, etc. Restarting it fixed the problem, but make sure you do that right after the update so you don't almost sleep through your alarm too!

Last edited:

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
As the new android 5.1 lets your volume button to access notifications volume, visible while playing music. It allows you to adjust it, without fiddling with your music, or having to browse menus. I feel this one was a better change from the previous one.

I agree

Posted via Android Central App

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just received 5.1 on my nexus 7 2012 yesterday morning, so far it has performed much better than 5.0 and 5.0.2 after a Factory data reset.

Mine came in this morning on N7 (2012) - along with a number of updates afterwards for apps in the Store. Not absolutely convinced everything is faster and more stable than 5.0.2 or just willing it to be do, while I went off the Factory Reset idea once I found that there was no option to include the reinstall from Backup of apps and settings as well, as was the case here with 5.0.2.

Of course, I continue to avoid installing the Facebook app (a home screen shortcut to m.facebook.com via Chrome instead - and regaining the in-line access to Messages as a bonus), so no heartache there.

jaywoolfork

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 2012 I just recently unlocked the bootloader and rooted or , will I have to unroot/relock it before I update my tablet?

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Just opened my Nexus 10 for the first time in a while and noticed a download notification for 5.1. Nothing happened though when I pressed the download button, it's now disappeared altogether. Also checked settings, and I'm still on 5.0.2 in case it'd downloaded in the background.
If you still don't have the update, are you on wifi or mobile data? I think I remember there being some option of only downloading updates on wifi, but maybe I'm not remembering that right.

Last edited:

MarCou

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I hated 5.0.x updates, but I like this new one. Batterylife if much better on LTE. But bit worst when wifi is on. Some reason they both work together at same time. It eats battery.

Old mute is back, renamed none though. Now when turned to 'none' my led blinks for new messages (I use light manager). This is a big deal for me when using my phone at work. I can keep it on desk muted and see if new messages arrive.

One thing I noticed, widget list doesn't update without reboot. If I download new app from GP (f.e. Clock widget) widget doesn't appear to widget list until I turn my phone off and on again. Someone else noticed the same?

Someone mentioned something about problems with RAM. How this supposed to occur? I haven't noticed anything unusual.

But deal-breaker was silent mode for me, now it's back. I prefer lollipop now.

Unrooted Nexus 5 running 5.1

kgh00007

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is worse for me on 5.1. I'm also having issues where I'm not getting notifications for SMS, the dialer is becoming unreaponsive, apps are crashing, stuttering in apps and battery live is a lot worse.

The memory leak is causing a lot of theses issues, constant reboots of the phone help to mitigate the issues, but it is a real pain. I've waited 4 months for the original lollipop issues to be fixed and now a whole new batch has been introduced. This has turned me off nexus devices, I just want something that works.

And more than anything I just want my phone battery to last an entire, long day!

Matthew Blankenship

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
5.1 great definitely made my nexus 7 2012 like new again did factory reset after 5.0.2 it didn't help but now tablet fast as was when new no issues so far had 24hrs really happy!

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Personally i am waiting for 5.2 when hopefully all issues will be resolved.I don't think 5.1 fixes all the issues. Till then happy to be on kitkat 4.4.4

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop 5.0 was the real beta version. 5.1 is more polished and seems like a final version. My battery life is better but the real plus is that my LTE cell signal is now double what it was with 5.0. Where I use to get 1 to 2 bars in my house I now get 3 to 4 bars.