Is there a way to turn off the notification pop up that takes up like 1/4 of the screen?

iisbebe

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
When I receive notifications from some applications, i.e. snapchat, I get a pop up notification at the top of my screen that covers alot of things. And if I want to swipe it away, it doesn't have the notification in the drop down notification panel. It's so annoying and I just want it gone.2015-04-19 07.33.16.png

VS.

2015-04-19 07.35.28.png

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
You can tailor which app show notifications in the Sounds and Notifications settings option and then selecting App Notifications. From there you can block an app or set it to priority notifications. Hope that helps. Good luck 😉

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
On 5.1 you can swipe the notification upwards and the notification will stay in your dropdown list, or swipe it sideways and it will go away completely

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
On 5.0.1 it is not possible to dismiss this banner. You have to open the message in order to keep using the phone.

I've asked this question on the Hangouts product forum, hope they will have some answer.
If not it seem the solution is to disable all apps that misuse the phone in such ways.

Simply disabling the notifications is not an option because then people will wonder why there is no reply to the messages they send you.
The only option is to disable the app itself.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
This is most probably a Samsung phone.
Lots of users got updates in the past days and are now in full panic mode because of how their phone looks and behaves.
Given the Samsung's track record I don't believe we can expect an update to 5.1 any time soon.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The 5.1 update is just not ready for your make/model of phone then. But that's the only real solution to your issue. Until then you're just have to either wait for the notification to disappear if you want it to stay or swipe it away. Hopefully the update will come out soon though, it's very handy to be able to swipe them up

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
The 5.1 update is just not ready for your make/model of phone then. But that's the only real solution to your issue. Until then you're just have to either wait for the notification to disappear if you want it to stay or swipe it away. Hopefully the update will come out soon though, it's very handy to be able to swipe them up

As I said earlier, you can not swipe it away. And it will not disappear by itself. The Back button also does not help as it is handled by the app that you were actually using before the banner appeared. The only thing you can do is stop what you were doing and open the message.
Or completely disable the apps that do that - this what I would expect most people will do.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
As I said earlier, you can not swipe it away. And it will not disappear by itself. The Back button also does not help as it is handled by the app that you were actually using before the banner appeared. The only thing you can do is stop what you were doing and open the message.

I don't know which version of android you're using but that's not true. Maybe your phone has some kind of issue, but in 5.0.1 you most certainly can swipe heads-up notifications away and they also will timeout and hide on their own.

https://youtu.be/r5KnKcdgCRU?t=22s

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm using 5.0.1 on Galaxy S4. I tried swiping left, right, up, down, Back button, everything. I got frustrated and I just left the phone on the table. 5 minutes later when I picked it up the big white notification banner was still there.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
There would not be so much complaints about that if there was a way to dismiss them.
Everything that has been done to the notifications in the update we got is simply bringing chaos to something that was working quite OK and was working in an understandable ways. I guarantee 95% of the users will not understand what "Priority" mode and "Interruptions" is. Even if you search actively, there is no place where those things are explained in a meaningful way. And in the next weeks there will be lots of problems with missed calls, messages and so on. Like now there are already with alarms.

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
I can assume the persistence of the notification spam is because of a problem with my phone.
This is the reply I got at the Hangouts product forum:

"This is an android 5.0 feature, not hangouts. You can swipe this message away if you feel it is in your way. Swiping it away in 5.0, 5.0.1 or 5.0.2 will make the hangouts notification disappear however, in 5.1 this gets fixed where you can swipe it up to dismiss it but the notification for hangouts (and other apps) will remain in the notification bar."

tomar264

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I find this super annoying as well and don't want to have to swipe this thing away all the way at the top of my screen when I'm in the middle of doing something else. I really wish they would just roll back the entire notification system to the way it was before lollipop or at least have the option for notifications to work that way. All we got are these stupid banners and an LED that isn't functional. :mad:

gbswales

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Surely there is a difference between disabling an apps notification and disabling the app completely? As the owner of a note edge I am happy to see all notifications displayed on the edge but do not want to see them pop up on the main screen or even worse on the lock screen. There needs to be better micro management of how and where notifications are displayed. Google seems to move ever more towards the apple approach of one size fits all - they should realise that the system control is one of the main reasons many of us prefer android

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20