How can I get my Nexus 7 tablet to connect to the wifi at a hospital?

marinerecon79

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
nexus 7 tablet will not connect to wifi at hospital! please help

I have a nexus 7 tablet with lollipop 5.1 the WiFi here at hospital is an open network with a log in page. When I connect a sign in prompt comes up I click that and a lock with a circle and slash through it pops up. Please help I'm in hospital and really need to connect to WiFi. What do I do?

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: nexus 7 tablet will not connect to wifi at hospital! please help

I'm not sure if it's the same as when I was in the hospital, but to login, I had to check a box acknowledging that I read their terms of service, then had to click an accept button. I hope this helps, and that you get to feeling better. From 2011 I've racked up 45+ days in the hospital, hopefully you won't have to give them that much time lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If the page asks for a login and password, ask a nurse. Some patients restrict the use of their wifi to inpatients, so they don't get overwhelmed by every visitor using it. (My wife had to about a year ago, when she was in for a few days - they just give it to you.)

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site

I've had problems at my hospital with my Nexus 4 on Lollipop. I'd click on "log into network" and the little status bar incremented partway and hung and never popped up the actual login page so that I could accept the terms. My little wireless icon would have an exclamation point beside it. I've seen others complain of that too, at other institutions. I just kept retrying until I somehow got the login page and bookmarked it.

What I do now is every morning I click on log into network, and wait for the red lock. Then click on the 3 dots and choose the one that says use network anyhow. Then I go to the bookmarked login page where I can finally click on "accept". At that point it usually gives me a second prompt to log into the network, and when I do that, I get the network and get rid of the little exclamation points. It's a bit of a kludge, but at least it gets me logged in.

FWIW, on the same network, I've found that if I launch Firefox on my Windows tablet, it doesn't play nice with the hospital network and tells me there is no security and a bad certificate. But if I first launch IE (ugh), it gives me the accept conditions screen and is happy, and after that I can then use FF as well. (I know this is different than Android; just mentioning it because it may mean something to someone who can figure what the issue is).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

(I know this is different than Android; just mentioning it because it may mean something to someone who can figure what the issue is).
That's an easy one. The hospital is saving money by hiring an incompetent network administrator (or letting the maintenance guys do it). The software they need for their system to work properly is off the shelf, they just download it, set the name, password and a few other things, and you wouldn't have any problem.

(If they did medicine the way they do networking, the guy who mows the lawn would be doing surgery. Hey, he gets paid less, so they save money, and that's a good thing, right? Oh, yeah, malpractice suits, and you can't sue them for lousy internet.)