Google Drive default file viewer option disappeared, how can I get it back?

A

AC Question

Google Drive default file viewer option disappeared

Hello Android community, I'm using Google Drive on Android 5.1. When tapping on a PDF file in order to view it a box pops up asking me to choose an app to view the file with. It starts with "Open with" then gives me a list of apps. At the bottom of the pop up it says, "Cancel". If I select an app my file is opened with that app. But I used to have an option to open once or open always using the selected app. This appears to have gone and I am now unable to choose a default app, meaning I have to make a selection each time I open a file. What has happened? Any help will be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google Drive default file viewer option disappeared

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Try going to Settings>Apps​, tap Menu, then Reset All App Preferences.

borisbravo

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've tried your suggestion and went back into Google Drive and opened a PDF file. Unfortunately I get the same box appearing asking me to select an app and no option to make the selection permanent. It's like Google has changed it. I'm using a Nexus 5 running 5.1. Image attached:

2015_05_02_21.41.06.jpg

zackzuse

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I've tried your suggestion and went back into Google Drive and opened a PDF file. Unfortunately I get the same box appearing asking me to select an app and no option to make the selection permanent. It's like Google has changed it. I'm using a Nexus 5 running 5.1. Image attached:

View attachment 174932

Hey that's the exact issue I am searching for, any luck?

borisbravo

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi zackzuse, my problem has been resolved for a few months now, but I can't remember exactly what I did to get it to work. You could try going to App info, then Force Stop and Uninstall Updates. Once you are running an older version of Google Drive and the issue is cleared, try updating the app. I think that was what I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty