Problems entering Japanese characters using the Japanese keyboard for Samsung Galaxy S4 Ver 5.01, how can I fix this?

popstormcandy

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Problems entering Japanese characters using the Japanese keyboard for Samsung Galaxy S4 Ver 5.01

I recently updated my galaxy S4 to version 5.01, but am encountering problems entering Japanese characters.
Before the update, I had no problem, the kanji I wanted would appear in the boxes above the keyboard upon typing and allow me to choose from a choice of word variations.

After updating, I noticed that they did not allow me to enter kanji or katakana as it did not appear in the word-correct boxes. The last hirigana of the text also appeared as romaji and it stayed stubbornly like that. Because of this I am only able to type hirigana and not katakana or kanji. I have tried various ways to fix this, including installing Japanese input plugins and apps and resetting the language imput. However, nothing I installed would appear in my apps folder although present under "applications" in settings.

Is there anyway I can fix this? Will there be an update that supports such Japanese text input?

Executoto

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Have the exact same problem/question. Very frustrating!

I recently updated my galaxy S4 to version 5.01, but am encountering problems entering Japanese characters.
Before the update, I had no problem, the kanji I wanted would appear in the boxes above the keyboard upon typing and allow me to choose from a choice of word variations.

After updating, I noticed that they did not allow me to enter kanji or katakana as it did not appear in the word-correct boxes. The last hirigana of the text also appeared as romaji and it stayed stubbornly like that. Because of this I am only able to type hirigana and not katakana or kanji. I have tried various ways to fix this, including installing Japanese input plugins and apps and resetting the language imput. However, nothing I installed would appear in my apps folder although present under "applications" in settings.

Is there anyway I can fix this? Will there be an update that supports such Japanese text input?

Michellehfmn

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Same problem, super frustrating. I know the google keyboard but the samsung keyboard should just work. I always use the swipe-version keyboard so the QWERTY is .. well super frustrating.

Kattika Zmugen

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
How are you all reinstalling it? All I can do is reset the settings and that didn't do anything

Well, go to SETTING > DEVICE > KEYBOARD, then long press at 日本語 and on the bin icon up right corner. This will delete 日本語 from the DOWNLOADED section. After that just redownload 日本語 and it's fixed!

Ccandance

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Go into "Samsung Keyboard" >> Click "Add new languages" >> THEN long-press "日本語"

The option to delete it will come up as long as its box isn't checked.