How To Add Calendar Events From Gmail

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I attend college online and have my Gmail synced with my school email so I can check both from the same app. Often times, my instructors will email the class about an upcoming assignment. How can I add a calendar event that will remind me of the assignment from my Gmail app on my phone? Everything online says that the time and date should be underlined and contain a link for Google Calendar, but nothing in my emails is underlined or linked. Being able to open an email and click one time and have a reminder of an assignment would be extremely helpful. I know I could manually go into Google Calendar and create the event after receiving an email, but I am usually at work when I receive the emails and don't have time. Often times, I'll open the email at work and plan on looking at it again later, but forget all about it.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I found this:

"Google makes it easy for you to keep track of your schedule. Just like we do with addresses and package tracking numbers, Gmail displays an "Add to calendar" link when you open a message that contains event information. This way, you can easily add the event to your Google Calendar.

Just click on the link and fill in the appropriate information, then click the Save Changes button. (You may be asked to sign in to your Google Calendar account, if you're not signed in already.)"

Mav. :cool:

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
That just looks like a regular email to me, with no event information that could be imported at all. How would you expect Google or any program to interpret this as an event that could be put into a calendar? Besides, there are multiple events in that email with no times set. I think the event information it would look for would be something like an Outlook appointment (.ics file) like this Gmail Now Lets You Add .ics Events Directly to Google Calendar

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That just looks like a regular email to me, with no event information that could be imported at all. How would you expect Google or any program to interpret this as an event that could be put into a calendar? Besides, there are multiple events in that email with no times set. I think the event information it would look for would be something like an Outlook appointment (.ics file) like this Gmail Now Lets You Add .ics Events Directly to Google Calendar

That is the point of creating this thread, to find out if there is a way.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Mine has never worked right either. I have my personal email from my isp forwarded to my Gmail and it doesn't pick anything up. Even flight itineraries don't show up or even the option to add it to my calendar. I do have the option to add events to my calendar but it never does. After 8 months I've given up on it. I can add it via the browser. Dates and everything else will be underlined, but I can't do it in the Gmail app.

Posted via the Android Central App

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
That is the point of creating this thread, to find out if there is a way.

The person is just sending you a test email, he would have to have a Google Calendar account and create the event in Google Calendar and then add Guest to email list. Then when he save the event all the email addresses that he added would get the event in the email. At which point when you open the event you should get the option to save the event to your calendar. The question here is the instructor willing to do this?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
So, there is no other way to do it like it is now? I get emails from all my instructors, mostly in the same format. I doubt I could convince them all to change the way they send emails.

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
You might ask one of the instructors what they use to keep there appointments and then you could adopt to them... maybe? They may use some sort on online calendar other that Google. Or theymay have some in house software that the IT department wrote up.