Email App Issues - Can't type in body, how can I fix this problem?

crescendo97

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Email App Issues - Can't type in body

Using a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Rogers, Lollipop.
Using the default email app (not Gmail as it's not gmail accounts I'm using).
Started with the cursor jumping around randomly when I would type an email. Read a fix to turn off predictive text so I have to do that now just to use the email app.
Now, I can't even type in the body of an email.
If I create a new email, it prompts for the recipient, which I enter fine. Then it lets me select the subject field but it will not go into the body of the email when I touch it to begin typing my email. I've tried changing keyboards, minimizing the keyboard - nothing.
This happens about 95% of the time. Occasionally, and I mean very rarely, it will work and actually go to the body to allow me to type.
If I reply to an email that seems to be ok. The problem only exists when typing a new email.

Very frustrated!!

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Email App Issues - Can't type in body

Does it happen in both landscape as well as portrait orientation? Try again after rebooting your phone?

crescendo97

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

Interesting! It worked in landscape mode but still doesn't in portrait.
If I turn it to landscape and touch the body area, the cursor appears and allows me to type. If I go back to the subject field and turn it to portrait view, then click in the body to type, it won't work. The cursor won't drop to that area - same as before.
I've definitely done reboots. Not sure how to solve the issue though.
At least landscape is one alternative for now.
Any thoughts as to why portrait doesn't work?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Why aren't you using the GMail app? That old Email app you are using is probably not Lollipop-compatible.

Screenshot_2015-05-26-08-40-02.jpg

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

Interesting! It worked in landscape mode but still doesn't in portrait.
If I turn it to landscape and touch the body area, the cursor appears and allows me to type. If I go back to the subject field and turn it to portrait view, then click in the body to type, it won't work. The cursor won't drop to that area - same as before.
I've definitely done reboots. Not sure how to solve the issue though.
At least landscape is one alternative for now.
Any thoughts as to why portrait doesn't work?

Is your Email app up to date? Try changing your keyboard. Do other keyboards type fine?

EDIT:

Are you using the default keyboard or some 3rd party app keyboard?

crescendo97

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
As far as I can tell the app is up to date.
I've used other keyboards, not just the default, and the results are all the same.

How can I check to update the email app?

Last edited by a moderator:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

How can I check to update the email app?

What app is it? Look under its Settings menu for "About" or something like that.

If it is Google's original Email app, I don't think it is being updated any longer. Hence the screenshot I posted above.

crescendo97

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
It's the standard email app that came with the device when I got it. It's just called 'Email'.
I understand I can switch to Gmail with my non-gmail email address, I just had been using Email for a year now and prefer its functionality.

What app is it? Look under its Settings menu for "About" or something like that.

If it is Google's original Email app, I don't think it is being updated any longer. Hence the screenshot I posted above.

In Settings - About it only shows the 'About Device' to see if there's an update available for the device. My device is up-to-date. I don't know how to check the app itself and see if there's an update for it. However, if, like you said, they're no longer supporting it, that may explain the issue. Just wish I had seen a notice or something to move over. I do like using the app, it's been my preferred method.
Thanks for the help all!

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

To check if an update is available for an app, go to the Play Store - My Apps - Installed and see if the Email app is listed there and is up to date or not.

crescendo97

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

To check if an update is available for an app, go to the Play Store - My Apps - Installed and see if the Email app is listed there and is up to date or not.

The Email app is not listed in the Play Store Apps. I checked this earlier - under both installed and all apps. That makes it all the more difficult to determine if it's updated.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

The Email app is not listed in the Play Store Apps. I checked this earlier - under both installed and all apps. That makes it all the more difficult to determine if it's updated.
Go to Settings -> Apps find Email and clear it's cache and data. You might have to log in again after clearing the data.

Sent from my Moto G 2nd Gen using Tapatalk

crescendo97

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

Go to Settings -> Apps find Email and clear it's cache and data. You might have to log in again after clearing the data.

Sent from my Moto G 2nd Gen using Tapatalk

That fixed it!!!
I did have to set up my email again after clearing the data but as soon as I popped back in and created an email, I was able to type in the body of the message again. Tried it a few more times and so far so good!
Thank you!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith