Why are my contacts going away after the new update?

plrbear1028

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
About 2 weeks ago, I had an automatic update message that popped up on my phone. I selected a time for the updates to happen, and they occurred overnight. The next morning, I had a new Verizon screen saver, along with a new app on that screen called “Backup Assistant Plus” which is apparently now doing regular backups of my phone - ? After this started, I noticed that for some reason, some of my more recent Contacts were missing! However, a lot of my older Contacts are still in my phone. These are the Contacts that are part of my phone, not Outlook – as far as I can tell.

I am also not getting a message that pops up on the screen saver that says something like I have “36 updates pending” - ? I have tapped on that message a few times, but then it asks me to sign in to Google, and I don’t know how to or if I should do that….Ugh.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are all of your contacts associated with your Outlook account? Do they sync to Outlook.com, or to the Microsoft Outlook program on your computer? The most reliable way to keep your contacts safe and to sync them easily is to have them in your Google Contacts, so you may want to consider moving your contacts there. I'm always a little wary about contact syncing with the Outlook program, since they're different platforms.

Are the updates for apps through Google Play Store? When you tap on that message, does Google Play Store open up? Is the phone signed into your Google account in the first place? Go to Settings>Accounts, and tell us if there is a Google account listed.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it seems like you're not signed into your google account on your phone yet. That would explain why your contacts are missing (if they're connected to your gmail) and why, when you tap the "36 updates pending" notification, it asks you to sign in to your google account so that it can take you to the Play Store to update those 36 apps.