cannot create folders in my photo gallery after update

miss_vickies

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Guys, help!

I was trying to move all my vacation pictures into a single folder and every time I try to add a folder it tells me file name already exists - no matter what i type as a name! I don't know what else to do :(

I plugged the phone into my laptop to do it manually but any folders I created in "Pictures" doesn't even show on my phone but you can see them in X-Plore. Same happens when I create a folder in X-plore - it doesn't show in my Galleries.

I hope someone can recommend a solution.

p.s. I have a Note 4

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Gallery uses the name of the last folder in the chain. So if you have /DCIM/Camera/Vacation and DCIM/Vacation, Gallery shows pictures in both folders as being in the Vacation folder (in some versions - in others you have 2 Vacation folders). If you have to use the same name for 2 folders, make it unique - Vacation1 and Vacation2, for example, or Vacation-Lake and Vacation-Beach. If you have a Vacation folder in Gallery's default location, Gallery won't allow you to make another of the same name because you can't have 2 objects of the same name (files and/or folders) in the same folder (in any computer system that uses a folder/filename naming system - OS-400, IBM's OS for the AS-400, uses a different scheme, but the same rules apply - you can't duplicate names in its system either, although they're not folders). If you do it in different folders in Windows (a Vacation folder in one place and another Vacation folder in another place), Gallery may show only 1, with all the pictures in both in that album. Then moving pictures to that album isnn't possible, because Gallery can't tell which folder you want them in.

("Album" is an artifact of Gallery - it uses the folder names to create an "album", but you have to be aware that you're really looking at a folder name - and if an album represents 2 folders, moving a picture to that "album" means the computer having some way of knowing which of the 2 folders of the same name to put it into - and people don't write software that does things like that. If they did, the side effects would make you want to kill someone slowly - preferably by roasting over a small match for a few weeks.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49