Google Photos Backing Up Thousands of Photos I Don't Have

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded google photos on my note 3. So far, it's worked great. I tried downloading it on my girlfriends s4 and it tries to back up photos she doesn't even have. She only has 8gb of storage with no SD card. She has maybe a hundred or more photos. When I attempt to begin backing up her photos, it says backing up 1 of 5000 photos and the number keeps climbing, up to 9000 photos. Where is it getting these photos and how can I fix it?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded google photos on my note 3. So far, it's worked great. I tried downloading it on my girlfriends s4 and it tries to back up photos she doesn't even have. She only has 8gb of storage with no SD card. She has maybe a hundred or more photos. When I attempt to begin backing up her photos, it says backing up 1 of 5000 photos and the number keeps climbing, up to 9000 photos. Where is it getting these photos and how can I fix it?

Hey :) first let me say, when backing up the photos this won't impact your partners phone storage. The pictures are being uploaded to Google's cloud storage, not the phone.

Secondly, can you see what the pictures are that are backing up? have a look at them and see if they ring any bells. Google will be backing up any photos that are associated with your partners email address (Google acc) for example, when I downloaded the new app - it also backed up all my random photos on my laptop that I had.

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't looked to see what photos are being backed up. When I see 9000 photos being backed up, I cancel it. I mentioned the storage of the s4 just to give an idea of how many pictures she could possibly have on the device since it was trying to backup 9000.

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
What do you telling has no sense. What I will do:
1- Back up to another google account
2- Check every setting in google photos.
If that doesn't work I'll use another software and wait to use google photos in the future.

retronaut

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I have found that this issue will occur if photos have been removed from the phone via USB / Windows, for example, causing Google Play Services to become confused about the actual number of photos on the device, and unable to locate the deleted photos. I fixed this problem on my phone by going to the app settings for Google Play Services, selecting Manage Storage and then Clear all Data.