How can I fix my Android OS battery drain after 5.1.1 update?

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Android OS battery drain after 5.1.1 update

Hello, I have a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy s5 and its running Android 5.1.1. Ever since the update, I've noticed that Android OS has been using battery the most. Worst of all, if I leave the phone on sleep for a few hours, the battery starts to drain. I have sync turned off, Bluetooth off, WiFi off, I don't have apps that pull background data and I disabled all of the ones I don't use. The only apps I use throughout the day are textra (for texting), Flipboard, and I make a few calls. In the attached image, it shows the stay awake time for Android OS which is exactly the same amount of hours from which I didn't wake up the phone. Also a few nights ago, I went to bed with 63% battery and woke up with 49%. At the top of the battery usage chart was Android OS, followed by Android system, then screen. I never had this problem prior to 5.1.

Thanks in advance.

13401.jpg

Last edited:

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Android OS battery drain after 5.1.1 update

Hi, i uploaded the image. And yes, this problem goes away after a reboot but it starts again after a few hours.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Show us a few more battery stats, but wait until you've used most of the battery charge. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

Sure i will do that this evening. Android OS already started the battery drain before i got to work this morning :/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I see what you mean--something is keeping the phone awake constantly. You said that it returns soon after a reboot, but did you also try a cache partition wipe as previously suggested?

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, as soon as I noticed this problem since the update, I wiped the cache partition. Last night I had to reboot twice for it to calm down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, what would interest me is if the phone remains awake constantly, even in Safe Mode (as shown in the bars under the main battery graph).

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
okay i will leave safe mode on for the rest of the evening. In the meantime, does flashing the firmware erase all data? If so, is there a way to flash the firmware while keeping the data on my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it does, but I'm not sure. Let me ask around.

One of my Ambassador colleagues, itguyjax8430, says that if you're flashing the exact same firmware, it won't wipe--but if you flash a different firmware, it will wipe. To be safe, you should probably back everything up anyway.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
If wiping the cash partition did not work then I would say a factory reset is needed. The update to Lollipop has been causing a lot of issues with a lot of devices and most of those issues are resolved after a factory reset. It sounds like the phone is not going into deep sleep. Give this app below try to see if your phone is actually going into deep sleep. If it is not then I would definitely recommend a factory reset. It's called CPU Spy and it monitors your processor wake times.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.bvalosek.cpuspy&hl=en&token=Y5sB8I5_

Last edited:

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Alright so if I upgrade the firmware using Kies, it won't erase anything? And I'm running in safe mode today to see if the problem persists

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, I will give this a try

If I had to guess, I would say that it's because of your mobile network. Do you face the same battery drain at home as well as at work/office? Try switching to 2G or 3G in areas where 4G coverage isn't that great or your phone will stay awake struggling to hold on to the network signal...

EDIT: If you're facing the battery drain at home while sleeping, try doing this for a night: Charge your phone up to 100%, unplug from charger, turn off your mobile network or disable your sim but keep the WiFi turned ON. Now do not disturb the phone and go to sleep. See how much charge you have the next morning...

Devendra95

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I've tried that already. I leave WiFi on when im at work because it uses less power than 4g. I also leave wifi on overnight too. i think this a bug in the update.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've tried that already. I leave WiFi on when im at work because it uses less power than 4g. I also leave wifi on overnight too. i think this a bug in the update.
Yes, leave WiFi on but DISABLE your SIM at night and see how that changes things...

Sent from my Moto G 2014 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888