Can I update a non-activated phone using Verizon's software upgrade assistant?

sethyboy

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, but since this is a lesser-known prepaid phone, it didn't really have a good section to go in.

I have an LG Transpyre that I'd like to upgrade to the official Android 5.1.1. However, it isn't activated, so I can't get the OTA. This means I'll probably have to update through my computer.

I thought about maybe using the software upgrade assistant thing that pops up when I plug the phone into my computer. However, I don't know much about this program, and can't find real specifics on it. The only experience I've ever had with upgrading through USB was flashing a ROM on a crappy Chinese tablet that was running ICS.

Would this program work with a non-activated phone with no problems? Also, for those who have used it, does it completely flash the device, or does it keep your data like an OTA would?

I also found this program called "LG Bridge" that seems similar to Samsung's Kies in function, even though I've never used Kies. Would I be better off using this, or does it not really matter?

I know that I could just try it and see what happens, but I'm very cautious with my electronics (I'm sure I'm not the only one), and I like to know exactly what I'll be doing before I do it. For me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463