Mdnsd killing battery?

martinr85

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Mdnsd killing battery

I have a galaxy s5 with Android 5.0, and have recently noticed my battery life has significantly declined. I noticed a program called mdnsd is the problem. I've researched online, but could only find rooted phone answers. I've tried factory reset and imstallimg a root fipe explorer to try and delete but no luck. Location: system-bin-mdnsd. Pleasr help

RichieRich804

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Mdnsd killing battery

I too am having this issue. Using a Galaxy S5, unrooted. I went as far as doing a full factory reset and the "mdnsd" popped back up within a day. My wife has the same exact phone and same Lollipop OS, yet she doesn't have this issue. We're on the Verizon Wireless network.

I did have the AR.FreeFlight 2.4.10 app installed a LONG time ago for a short time but not since this phone has upgraded to Lollipop. Also, this "msdns" process never made an appearance until recently. Did this drone app leave something behind?? I figured a factory reset would wipe clean any trace of junk that would hinder performance.... no?

So just to clarify, the drone app has never been installed since the 5.0 Lollipop update and it's also been factory reset recently. Only apps I have running is FB, FB Messenger, Zedge and Speedtest.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! After the factory reset, do you recall if the phone started reinstalling any apps automatically? If so, did you have to uninstall them? If so, it's conceivable that the drone app reinstalled, and then left something behind when you uninstalled it.

AndersonS1639

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Hey guys, new to the whole forum thing but I'm having the same issue. I had the free flight app but I just upgraded to the s6 edge plus and did not restore apps. The only thing that has changed since before, is it purchased a gear s2 smartwatch and I believe this to be the cause. I think this is a continuous process running while my watch is connected. Anyone think they can confirm or deny this?

Posted via the Android Central App

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site

I've had this issue too since the 5.1 update. I've never heard of the Freeflight app.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I just had this pop up on my screen, but my battery has been absolute crap lately. I don't recall ever having the free flight app installed and it certainly isn't installed now. I also use the package disabler pro app and can't find anything related to Mdnsd to disable.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Beat me to it.... I found the same suggestion over on another forum. Deleted Firefox and will see what happens. I never used it as it's absolute crap for rendering web pages in a legible mobile format when compared to Chrome. I really miss the old Android browser for the text flow .... but I suppose that's another topic.

Use of the app Adguard makes Chrome a completely new browsing experience, and it blocks all app adds as well. Actually the entire Android user experience is greatly enhanced with the use Adguard. I couldn't imagine using Android without it.

I also followed a couple tips off this website Tricks To Improve Samsung Galaxy S6 Battery Life By ≈50%!

RichieRich804

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

So Firefox is possibly the culprit for the mdnsd drain bug? Anyhow, I realized that I forgot to mention I had this installed and running and certainly explains a lot. I'm uninstalling it right now, recharging the battery and resetting everything to see if this resolves it. I'll post back my results.

Thanks for posting the Firefox info.

******UPDATE*******
So by uninstalling Firefox, the mdnsd process stopped draining the battery for the rest of the day. After recharging the battery overnight and beginning to use the phone the following day, the Battery usage report no longer shows the mdnsd process!

So at least for me (and most likely others with Firefox installed and not the Parrot Drone app), this worked.

Thank GOD someone finally figured it out!
*Updated 12/1/2015 7:37am EST*

Last edited:

yarch

May 29, 2013
Visit site

The people in the discussion at the bugzilla link I posted above seem to thing the latest release 42.0.2 has fixed this. I re-installed and will confirm it fixed if I find it to be.

NewArtDroid

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just saw this on my Android battery usage, and I have never installed FireFox.

I was able to get rid of it by turning off my phone, charging it to full off, and then turning it back on. 24 hours, no sign of this mdnsd.

Last edited:

1gerbergirl2016

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I have also been having this same issue with my battery being drained. I do not have fire fox nor the other app. I have uninstalled all questionable apps and tried the full charge /phone shut down and this thing keeps coming back...What the heck are we supposed to do to get rid of this thing.

Silverfox44

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
My wife has a Galaxy S3 with unrooted Android KitKat 4.2. It had battery problems for several months and I finally found the MDNSD zombie app using 45% of battery. None of the apps previously mentioned were on her phone so I started removing apps in the reverse order of install. SpeedTest was the culprit that I had installed in June 2016. Once removed, the MDNSD was immediately gone. No restart/factory-reset needed. I guess I owe Batteries+ an apology for blaming a defective battery of theirs, got a free replacement.

benjy1

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I started having this same problem with mdnsd killing my battery beginning a couple weeks back. I have narrowed it down to the FACEBOOK app on my Droid Mini. When I can get the mdnsd to clear, it stays away...and I get normal battery life, until I use the Facebook app again. Then mdnsd kicks in and starts killing my battery. Doesn't happen when I use Facebook through the Chrome browser...only when I use the app. Can anyone else try and confirm this, and any clues how to cure it?

AmanteNJ

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been having this problem recently and my battery went downhill ever since this showed up in my battery usage. Here is what worked for me since Firefox was never installed on my phone neither any drone apps.

Downloaded Root Browser in the play store. Once downloaded and installed run the app. Go to system>bin>press and hold the file mdnsd. Click on Permissions. Now a window will pop out make sure you check on the Owner section the Read and Write boxes only, Group Section Read only, Others section Read only. Click ok, fully recharge you cellphone to 100% then restart your phone. In my case since doing this mdnsd process disappeared and battery is not draining as drastic as before.

I hope this works for you. Samsung Galaxy S5 with 5.0

Echterspieler

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
It definitely appears to be the Facebook app. Some days My Facebook app will crash sometimes when I open it requiring me to restart to get it to work again and when I check my battery drain there's mdnsd. This only started happening when Facebook started crashing, and on days when it doesn't crash, mdnsd doesn't show up.

pattiq22

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
You all are confirming what I suspected. FB app was not working. I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Within just an hour my battery at about 85% was down to 30% and I hadn't used my phone had just been sitting. When I get more time I will try AmanteNJ's fix and stay off FB until then.

fredwa

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
AmanteNJ I just tried your method with Root Browser(the free one) and went thru the steps but said unsuccessful..some systems do not allow changes..I have old Note II Verizon...any ideas? thanks

James Bennett5

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
Just tried your fix, however when I try click ok after changing the permissions I get an error 'changing permissions was not successful. Please note that some file systems do not allow permission changes'. I have a Galaxy S3. Any suggestions?