How do I get home button long press to go to recent apps list instead of to Google Now?

dddiam

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I am running Android 5.1.1 on a Galaxy Core Prime phone. I want to get the home button long press to go to recent apps list instead of to Google Now. I have read many posts about this issue, and have tried the posted suggestions, but to no avail.

One of the suggestions was to disable the Google App. When I do that, the Home Button no longer goes to Google Now, but neither does it go to the recent apps list. It does nothing.

Is this a bug? Is it intentional? Is it an Android issue? Is it a Google Now issue? Is it a Galaxy issue?

To me, easy access to the recent apps list is an essential function. I use it almost more than any other function.

David D.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am running Android 5.1.1 on a Galaxy Core Prime phone. I want to get the home button long press to go to recent apps list instead of to Google Now. I have read many posts about this issue, and have tried the posted suggestions, but to no avail.

One of the suggestions was to disable the Google App. When I do that, the Home Button no longer goes to Google Now, but neither does it go to the recent apps list. It does nothing.

Is this a bug? Is it intentional? Is it an Android issue? Is it a Google Now issue? Is it a Galaxy issue?

To me, easy access to the recent apps list is an essential function. I use it almost more than any other function.

David D.

Welcome to Android Central!

Perhaps I'm a little confused with what exactly you want to do, but you can access the recent apps by pressing the lower left (left of home button) button to access the recent apps. Take a look at this Verizon how-to for more information: Recently Used Apps - Samsung Galaxy Core Prime | Verizon Wireless

dddiam

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
OK. I found the solution. They changed which button navigates to the Recent Apps List.

It appears to be a phone-dependent implementation. The soft button to the left of the home button used to display an application menu, and a long-press on the Home button displayed the Recent App List. On my new phone, the soft button on the lower left displays the Recent Apps List, and a long press on the Home Button goes to Google Now.

Things keep changing ;)

David

dddiam

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Dear SRKMAGNUS,
After I posted the above message, your reply showed up. Thank you for quickly getting back to me. My previous phone was the Samsung Galaxy Lite (which ran Android 4), and I just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (Android 5). I was familiar with Android 5 because of my Nexus 7 tablet, but the tablet continues to use the same button assignments, whereas the two phones behave differently in that area.

Regards,
David

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Dear SRKMAGNUS,
After I posted the above message, your reply showed up. Thank you for quickly getting back to me. My previous phone was the Samsung Galaxy Lite (which ran Android 4), and I just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (Android 5). I was familiar with Android 5 because of my Nexus 7 tablet, but the tablet continues to use the same button assignments, whereas the two phones behave differently in that area.

Regards,
David
Glad you got it to work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz