Samsung Galaxy J1 Email question

jmcinvale

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy J1 phone with Android 5.1.1 and was wondering how I can make the default email app to where it does not delete emails from my inbox on outlook.com (hotmail address) when I delete them from my phone.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
What kind of sync options are available depends on the protocol used to talk to the servers.

If you are using IMAP or Exchange protocols (highly likely) the sync between your phone and the servers is two-way. What happens on the server gets updated on the phone and what happens on the phone gets updated on the server. If you delete something on the phone, it will be deleted on the server.

In this case, you may want to move the message to a "read it already" folder instead of deleting it.

If you downgrade to the old POP3 protocol, you can get the messages to be left on the server, but there is no two-way sync and the only folder you can download from is the "inbox". I doubt you want to go this route.

The way I do my outlook.com communications is like this:
The phone uses IMAP to sync multiple folders. I do not delete emails here, just mark them as read.
My computer uses Exchange to download the emails off the server storing them only on my computer; this results in the "old" emails "disappearing" from the phone during the next sync.
I do very little email reading from my phone.

jmcinvale

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Now with my old phone which ran 4.4.2 KitKat I set it up like it was on this phone I think and it would never delete from the server.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
If the old email app was using IMAP or Exchange, and if it was not deleting from both the phone and the server, then there was a special setting in the app (or a bug) that was preventing the normal behavior.

Check the settings in your new email app and see what options are available to you.

The default email apps tend to be a bit basic. To get extra features, you may need to change to a different email app.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance