Question about Root

Will Eaton

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
When I get my Nexus 5X if I root it can I still update it easily or will I have to unroot it and then install the new update when it comes out? Or do I flash a new version?

Posted via my Moto X (2014)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you would have to at least unroot it in order to accept the OTA. Flashing it manually is always an option.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Based on my experience with dirty flashing the Marshmallow OTA image (without the wipe flag) TWRP is installing and working fine but attempting to flash SuperSU 2.46 or 2.49 BETA lead to an irreversible bootloop. I've seen instructions on installing another Kernel to get SuperSU to work but I believe it's only available for Nexus 5 and 6.

I suspect this should be figured out soon.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You'll most likely need a custom kernel to root the 5X and 6P.... that's how it is on all existing Nexus devices since 5.0. And considering both are brand, spankin' new devices, it might take a little bit before someone gets someting posted. Once Google posts the kernel sources for either phone, we'll have modified, root-ready kernels fairly quickly.

And if you've gone through the trouble of unlocking your phone, flashing a custom recovery and kernel to even get root access, why bother worrying about any OTAs? You have everything set up to manually flash factory images, which you can do without blowing away user data if need be.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Based on my experience with dirty flashing the Marshmallow OTA image (without the wipe flag) TWRP is installing and working fine but attempting to flash SuperSU 2.46 or 2.49 BETA lead to an irreversible bootloop. I've seen instructions on installing another Kernel to get SuperSU to work but I believe it's only available for Nexus 5 and 6.

I suspect this should be figured out soon.
This happens with the Nexus 7 2013 too. I got the boot loop. I fixed it when I installed Stock/AOSP ElementalX kernel and then flashed SuperSU 2.50 beta.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX N7-5.00 using Tapatalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Like I mentioned above, you'll need a custom kernel first and foremost... but there are custom kernels for every Nexus out in the wild. Google tightened up security a bit in 5.0 and made it a lot harder to obtain root. Why? Well, in 4.4 and earlier, a sneaky dev worth his salt could sneak some malicious code into an app that could obtain root access without so much as giving you a 'how'dya do?". They closed a fairly large loophole.... but if you don't have a kernel that has been modified to allow root, well.... enjoy a nice big bowl of Boot Loops. :)