Captive portal notification in 6.0

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazed there is not a long thread on this already, a google search revealed this is a known problem in 6.0 but not satisfactory solution yet.

Since getting 6.0 on my Nexus 5 I have been plagued but constant captive portal notifications with sound and vibration. Sure, I could turn wifi off but that would be counterproductive as this is happening when I am at work and connected to the work wifi.

What seems to be happening is that every time the wifi signal drops (e.g. I walk into the toilet) the phone hunts for another wifi, finds one with a captive portal and sounds off. It continues to do this every couple of minutes until I go back to an area with good logged in wifi. Obviously this also happens as I am walking down the street and the phone keeps finding wifi networks and is extremely annoying, forcing me to turn of wifi when I leave the office and thus forgetting to turn it on again when I get home.

Has anyone found a solution that doesn't involve rooting or using priority mode which looks like it would end up disabling more that just these notifications anyway.

RHTizzy

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't get this on my nexus 5 and never turn WiFi off regardless of where I am. Have you tried clearing the system cache using recovery mode? It's pretty much the first step (when encountering problems) after a system update and doesn't destroy anything, just resets the cached data from apps and system which might not be relevant after a system update and could therefore cause problems...

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Maybe there aren't so many captive portals where you are? Practically every wifi has a captive portal round here, everyone with a BT router, almost all 'free wifi's are captive, every coffee shop, restaurant, hotel etc.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem, only seems to be with BT hotspots though. I'll try reinstalling the app when I can be bothered.

Posted via the Android Central App

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Which app? The captive portal detection is part of Android.

It could well be BT hotspots that are triggering it, I haven't had the problem today but then I am working from home today so I have a decent wifi signal.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what you are referring to, and yes, it is a bit of a PITA when it happens a lot. My work 'guest' wifi (which everyone uses to avoid giving IT remote access to their phones) has a really quick timeout.. only a couple of minutes after disconnecting, it'll challenge again.

Did you turn off the "Network Notification" toggle in the Advanced Wifi settings?

Krishsk515

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,I am facing an even bigger issue with Nexus 7 2013 running marshmallow.My system Reboots every time when I connect to a public WiFi with captive portal.I ran reboots,restars.But nothing happened. But WiFi connects seamlessly to an encrypted WiFi.

Krishsk515

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
For WiFi issues,in advanced settings Turn Off Notify Me When a Public WiFi is Available and keep WiFi on during sleep.If it did not help reset ur Network Settings.Hope this helps.