black screen during phone calls, won't wake up

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am posting it here since all my Nexii are doing this. The 5, 6 and 5X. This occurs with or with out a screen protector.

This makes it impossible to use prompts. Anyone have an idea what this is about?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There must be more to this story than you are telling... Are you rooted?

Have you enabled any of the developer options?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I find it extremely odd that you would have the same issue on three devices when no one else sees it at all.

Are you using the stock dialer app?

Stock keyboard?

Stock launcher?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean that after finishing a call, the screen doesn't turn back on? I've actually seen that a few times on my Nexus 5 running MM. I found that pressing Power a couple of times wakes the screen back up. It doesn't consistently happen, but it does happen. I'm unrooted, running stock Google Now Launcher, no screen protector or case. CPU-Z shows that the proximity sensor is working normally.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, I find it extremely odd that you would have the same issue on three devices when no one else sees it at all.

Are you using the stock dialer app?

Stock keyboard?

Stock launcher?

Stock everything. Odd you say? No one at all you say? Hmm, what do we have here? Has this issue been identified across several Android devices of the years, each with it's own set of causes? Tell me what "no one else sees it at all" means.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you mean that after finishing a call, the screen doesn't turn back on? I've actually seen that a few times on my Nexus 5 running MM. I found that pressing Power a couple of times wakes the screen back up. It doesn't consistently happen, but it does happen. I'm unrooted, running stock Google Now Launcher, no screen protector or case. CPU-Z shows that the proximity sensor is working normally.

This what I have to do. The issue is during calls that require prompts. It's EXTREMELY hard to wake the screen up.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Stock everything. Odd you say? No one at all you say? Hmm, what do we have here? Has this issue been identified across several Android devices of the years, each with it's own set of causes? Tell me what "no one else sees it at all" means.

The most common cause is a screen protector interfering with the proximity sensor however you stated you are not using them on any of your three devices. And, all three devices? That has to be a record.

I have my Nexus 6, my wife's Nexus 5, and a spare Nexus 5 - all on Marshmallow and none of them exhibit that issue. Phone to ear, screen goes black. Phone away from ear, screen comes back on and is fully functional.

Yes, this issue comes up now and then but, as you can see in these forums, it is not at all common and, as I stated above, most often turns out to be related to screen protectors - there has even been the occasional user who never removed the protective film from his new phone and couldn't understand why the screen responsiveness was so poor.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
PS: I presume you are certain that you are not blocking the proximity sensor with your hand in some manner or with a poorly designed case. On your Nexus 6, the proximity sensor is a bit more than 1/8" to the left of the earpiece/speaker's left edge. On the Nexus 5, it is about 1/2" in from the right edge of the phone and in line with the speaker. I'm not sure where it is on the 5X.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's not a screen protector or case issue for me. As I mentioned above, my Nexus 5 is naked, and the sensor is functioning properly in CPU-Z. It really sounds like a Marshmallow bug that probably isn't showing up universally.

Sicily1918

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
My 5 is doing the same thing -- stock MM, no root, and I flashed the factory image (no OTA, no adb of an OTA).

Mine's only done it when my mom's called, though... I'm sure that's a coincidence, right? :confused:

And yes, pressing power twice wakes it up... also, using the wake/magnet sensor wakes it up as well. Again, it's random and rare...

way2broke

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
For all you fortunate ones that don't have proximity sensor issues, well consider yourself fortunate! This problem is real, and real annoying! If we buy a Nexus! We should not have all this stupid **** to worry about when google and oem could send a patch to fix. In many cases if your had a tempered glass screen protector it was working fine pre Android lollipop 5.1.1. So if nothing changes and now it's broke after update, you go back to previous Android build and all is good again.... Google you need to own up to this! FIX THE DARN THING!

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Everyone who has this issue should be sending feedback to Google, from the Settings>About Phone menu. The more feedback they get, the more they'll realize it's an issue. I'm going to do it right now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Same issue. Anytime I take the phone away from my face it stays black.

G1, myTouch(rooted), Nexus S, Nexus 5

Well, I would venture to say that it is a) not a general Marshmallow problem and b) not a general hardware problem. If it were either, we would all be seeing it. Therefore, the question becomes, what additional app(s) are the affected users running that may be interfering with sensor and/or phone activity?

eaeapepe

Banned
Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I have same issue on my nexus 5, when I want back to 5.1.1 problem isn't occur. Yesterday I do OTA update to 6.0 and I have this problem again ;/

diablo9

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
It has been a common problem since jellybean.Remember, google/android never resolves an issue, only attempt to hide it.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yep, a bug within Marshmallow. I've had it on my Nexus 5 only after installing 6.0. No root, completely stock, completely naked (no screen protector, nor case). It doesn't happen every phone call, just about 50% of them. Pressing the power button turns the screen back on after it leaves your face. Slightly irritating; hoping they fix it soon.

basilh

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I have a non-rooted Nexus 6 w/o a screen protector on Android 6.0. Seeing that it's not across the board, it might be related to a combination of apps or settings that may be causing the issue.

Similar symptoms experienced by others including:
1. Sometimes reverts to normal behaviour after a reboot, but soon reverts back. I'ts unclear under what conditions it reverts back eg. seems to be independent of the screensaver.
2. Can momentarily recover the screen if I press the power button repeatedly. If I'm lucky, I'm able to terminate a call when that happens. However, this is really dangerous to try to do while driving (of course the phone is in a car mount).
3. Outgoing calls are an issue - can't select the speakerphone or the kepad. Incoming calls can be answered (the screen is visible), but thereafter, when the call is answered, speakerphone and the keypad can't be selected because of the dark screen.

I tried removing apps with deep hooks into the OS including antivirus software Sophos Security and password keeper Lastpass, but no change.
I also tried removing phone type apps that may have conflicted with the phone app. which in my case is Fritz$Fon as I have a FritzBox router-modem, but again no change.

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. I have a non-rooted Nexus 6 w/o a screen protector on Android 6.0. Seeing that it's not across the board, it might be related to a combination of apps or settings that may be causing the issue.

Similar symptoms experienced by others including:
1. Sometimes reverts to normal behaviour after a reboot, but soon reverts back. I'ts unclear under what conditions it reverts back eg. seems to be independent of the screensaver.

Always, IMO, be suspicious of games as well as any non-mainstream apps. Check the feedback for such apps and you will often find others have complained about the exact problem you are having.