Contact Groups in Android Marshmallow, where is it?

A

AC Question

Contact Groups in Android Marsmallow

I use Google Apps, and I have several groups created there.

It doesn't appear that I can access or see my google Groups from my Nexus 5x.

Did they remove this feature in this release?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Contact Groups in Android Marsmallow

Welcome to Android Central! It's been like that for a little while, not just with Marshmallow. The only way to see your individual groups is to open the Contacts app, tap the Menu button, and Contacts to Display. Then choose your Group.

beachnik

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Contact Groups in Android Marsmallow

Hmmm, didn't work for me (Nexus 6, Marshmallow). All the things you mention are in the menu system, and you can select groups via the menu system, but having done so - Contacts still does not display groups. Your system will then state "Contacts In Custom View' but what will actually be displayed is 'All Contacts' (no groups)

bergsy

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
there's one more step. after you choose "customize," the screen displays "Define custom view" and then, below it, your email address with an arrow pointing down to the left. hit that arrow and you get whatever groups you have previouslydefined, plus a few extra. you can then choose which groups you want to display.

there should be a way to do this with lots fewer clicks. maybe there is and i haven't found it yet?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the steps outlined above, and it doesn't change anything. After I pick the groups, I'm still left with 2 columns, All and Favorites, and that's it. Why does Google continually see the need to fix what doesn't need fixing? What did it hurt to leave the GD contacts the way they were in KK? It's crap like this that keeps happening that could send me to another platform.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed the same thing on my Nexus 6 with 6.0.1. Not sure when it started, but I'll be following this thread to see if it gets figured out.

daetilus

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Anyone have luck with this?

I'd like to add a clarification to what the problem is (or at least the issue I'm having).

Going thru the walkthrough as described here filters the list within the "Contacts" app itself. However, it does not filter the contacts list seen in the "Phone" app. As in, I open the phone app and go right two screens to find who to call. That section continues to show every contact I have. I would love to have the list within the Phone app filtered.

On a Nexus 6p, with 6.0.1

kragejollen

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I am diapointed about the missing groups as well. I came around the issue instaling Ex-dialer and then just using their contact app which gives access to your groups along with your contacts and favorits :)

Amadeus NZed

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I think there is a missunderstanding, I think I have the same problem.
I have a Vodafone smart ultra 6

Problem if I am correct.

1 Go to Contacts ...in the contacts edit info there is boxes to specify groups ....can make your own ..I have , friends, customers, residents etc

2 When you want to find a list of all your group friends, group customers etc there is no means to do it.

Is this the same problem you have ?