Why Can't I Connect To Computer To Move Files (After Switching USB connection settings!)?

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
After getting Marshmallow on my Nexus 7 (2013), I can't transfer files from the Nexus to the computer using USB. The charging lightning-bolt shows up, but no window opens on the computer, and when I go into "computer" in Windows Explorer, the Nexus doesn't show.

After some online searching I found the "Select USB Connection" option under Developer Options in Settings. The consensus was to change it to "MTP" but it was already there. I changed it to "Charging Only", then back to "MTP". Nothing. I've done what everyone says to do - what now?

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my 5X - so I switched from MTP to USB Ethernet, then back to MTP - that solved it.

Nexus 5X on AT&T - Posted via the Android Central App

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here on my Nexus 5. Resorted to the AirDroid wireless transfer app

Posted via Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After connecting to your computer, you have to pull down the notification shade on your phone (swipe down from the top of the screen) and select "USB charging" or something like that then select the File transfer option.

You have to do this every time you connect to your PC; it does not appear to be sticky.

As an aside, this is my 2,000th post on Android Central!

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
That's part of the problem - when I connect and swipe down there's nothing remotely resembling "USB charging" on said swipe-down...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's part of the problem - when I connect and swipe down there's nothing remotely resembling "USB charging" on said swipe-down...

Well, then, I vote for a bad cable or a bad USB port on your PC.

Umm... you are logging onto the phone, correct?