Whats the difference between an Locked vs Unlocked bootloader?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I'm getting old so bear with me :) I can't remember which one prevents you from getting OTA security updates. I always thought that an Unlocked bootloader would keep you from getting OTA updates and OTA security updates. I flashed 6.0 Marshmallow on my Nexus 6 and locked the bootloader when I was finished, is this going to keep me from getting OTA updates? Thanks in advance for any information.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Confused on Locked vs Unlocked bootloader

Locked is the normal state; unlocked is what people do so they can root the device and install custom OS mods.

Having said that, it is my recollection that unlocking in and of itself does not mean you won't get automatic OTA updates. Only rooting and/or OS mods interfere with OTA updating.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

Unlock your Nexus 6 again like I did. You can still get OTA updates but it is not worth it to go OTA as updates take forever to get pushed. Unlock and sideload stock updates (no rooting) on day 1 which is what I am doing now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Unlock your Nexus 6 again like I did. You can still get OTA updates but it is not worth it to go OTA as updates take forever to get pushed. Unlock and sideload stock updates (no rooting) on day 1 which is what I am doing now.

Except that the process of unlocking the phone now will do a factory reset and wipe all personal settings and data. So, make sure you have a full backup of all your stuff first.

6stringriffs

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site

I'm getting my 6.0.1 update tight now as I type. So much for waiting.....