How to backup before factory reset?

erchiappa

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I would like to factory reset but you kwow... It is a pita to restore all settings... I have six different e-mail accounts. How do backup ALL my settings? If it is possibile.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I would like to factory reset but you kwow... It is a pita to restore all settings... I have six different e-mail accounts. How do backup ALL my settings? If it is possibile.

The best way is with root and titanium backup, but first I would ask what app you are using for email.

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
My device is not rooted, inbox for my personal e-mail, gmail app for IMAP accounts

I didn't figure it WAS rooted, I'm just saying that's the best way and the only way to get a complete backup on android such as you can on iphone.

Otherwise the other apps in the app store do not back up data. Carbon or Helium I think it is called now is the only one that claims to but it's crap at least on marshmallow. Actually it's pretty much always been crap, I got it free when it first came out.

Marshmallow claims to back up data to some apps while plugged in and charging but not many at least that i have installed use it.

Here's how to check and make sure you have it turned on.

The first thing you need to do is to make sure that you have set your device to automatically back up your apps.
Step 1: Launch Google Drive on your Android device and make sure you’re logged into your default Gmail account.
Step 2: Tap the hamburger menu in the upper-left corner, and select Settings.
Step 3: Select Backup & Reset.
Step 4: Now select Back Up My Data and make sure it’s turned on.

If it is already on you can then go to the next step to see which apps are backing up. If not you have to turn it on and wait a day or so to see which ones are backing up.

Finding out what apps are being backed up is just as easy.
Step 1: Launch Google Drive on your Android device and make sure you’re logged into your default Gmail account.
Step 2: Tap the hamburger menu in the upper-left corner, and select Settings.
Step 3: Select Manage Backup.
Step 4: You will now see a list of all the apps that have been backed up to Google Drive.

Gmail probably backs up since it is google. You can't just manually "backup now" and it backs up or when you do a restore you have to wait until it restores on it's on. The other app I do not know about, actually I have neither installed, so you will have to look and see by this method if it is listed as one that backs up to google drive.

It's pretty crappy either way though. You can back up apps without data to an sd card with super backup but with no data you start all over.

The only way to get a decent backup on android is by rooting so if you do not want to do that then be prepared to start all over at least the majority of what you have. MM is google's first attempt resembling any kind of backing up and it's really weak.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I backup up from Google on my Nexus 5 with Android 6 and got my contacts, email, wiFi passwords, and so forth. I had no photos so I don't know how it handles those.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm