I hate Android's "simpler" volume controls

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to adjust volume specifically for Notifications separate from the Ringer volume? I'm missing text notifications all the time because I don't here the notification sound. But I don't want my call ringer any louder than it already is.

Come on Google, was it really too confusing to have separate volume controls for calls and notifications??

I have a Moto X Pure Edition, so nearly stock Android w/ just a few Motorola bits added in.

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Volume Ace doesn't work. Just like Slider Widget, setting the ringer volume automatically sets the notification volume to match, and setting notification volume sets ringer volume to match. Marshmallow has them tied together and I'm not sure if it's possible to do anything about it. It's one of those "features" they added to "help" us... :mad:

Dom12

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the suggestions, and I thought we had a winner this time. It appeared to work at first - I set my notification volume at full, and ringer at the lowest level. Then I sent myself a text and it was loud, and called my phone and it was quiet. However, after the call, the notification volume was lowered to the call ringer level. I reset the volumes with the app (ringer quiet, notification loud) and called myself, again the notification vol dropped after the incoming call. So they seem to have the ability to separate the two volume levels, but Android wins in the end.

I use an automation app called Automagic. I can set volumes with that, tho not ringer & notification separately. I can also react to incoming texts tho. I might try setting up a flow with that to increase the ringer/notification volume when I get a text, then reset it to the previous level, so calls won't be really loud. It's a long way around, but may be the only option if Google is so bent on making sure these volume levels are kept equal.

Migi2015

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
What I hate is that there is no access to the master volume control from notification center. One thing I like on iPhone is that Control Center has that. It's quite important because on iOS when you plug in headphones it automatically puts master volume at max which would blow out your eardrums if you just start playing some music. So what I do is first go into control center and reduce the volume and I'm ok. But in Android how?