Opening Files - Multiple Choices

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
This is probably operator error but I just upgraded to Marshmellow and find that if I go to open a file, let's say .mp3 file, in Lollipop it would give me a choice of let's say 3 different apps to open it with. I would usually select the app tap "once" and all was well. How do I get that sequence back under Marshmellow?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What are you seeing now? Does it automatically open with an app, or do you only get to choose the app, which then automatically becomes the default?

I seem to recall that some phones do it that second way (which means you have to go to the Settings>Apps menu to clear the default each time, if you don't want it to be the default). It doesn't happen on my Nexus 6P, so that's not how it's supposed to work on relatively stock Android.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I selected the app the first time and then it became the default. I used to use an app called "better-open"which worked quite well. Maybe that is the app I'll have to use.!!

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
What are you seeing now? Does it automatically open with an app, or do you only get to choose the app, which then automatically becomes the default?

I seem to recall that some phones do it that second way (which means you have to go to the Settings>Apps menu to clear the default each time, if you don't want it to be the default). It doesn't happen on my Nexus 6P, so that's not how it's supposed to work on relatively stock Android.

Any ideas would help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There seem to be a number of apps like Better Open With, so the only thing I can suggest right now is to see how well they work for you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463