Upgrade to 6.0.1 and Yahoo mail now has no notification icons in status bar

pvdiamon

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
After my upgrade to Android 6.0.1 on Samsung Galaxy S5, Yahoo Mail no longer has an option for status bar notification. What's with that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're talking about the Yahoo Mail app, and not Yahoo mail going through the stock Email app, right? If you go to the App Manager and select Yahoo Mail, then Notifications, is everything set there to show notifications?

pvdiamon

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
It is the Yahoo app from the play store. Interestingly, I found instructions with an option to show notifications in status bar, but that option is now not present. I am finding that I get notifications sometimes. I can check and see none while I do have mail, but on other occasions, it shows a mail icon. This is odd as well as annoying. But the same is happening with my Microsoft Outlook email, which is also inconsistent. Inconsistent is odd, as it means it is not a setting problem, but then what is it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Make sure neither of those apps is set to Restrict Background Data in Settings>Data Usage​.

pvdiamon

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The apps are set properly. I am using Light Flow, but that app has never been a problem in terms of showing icons. What is more odd, is that I do get icons sometimes. I can't figure out what is different when I get them. Light Flow gives my an orange LED when I have email, but that is often the only way I know now. I prefer that as the screen can be off and one can still get notifications. But I should be able to turn the screen on, and see which Email has an icon, Outlook or Yahoo. And that I can't do reliably now.