Screen Overlay Detected, what can I do?

waynew73

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: screen Overlay Detected

I found the app that was causing all of my problems was Facebook Messenger - Beta. I don't know if the non-Beta version has the same problem, but in every instance, it was Facebook Messenger Beta (The pop-up chat head). I was just about to leave the beta program to see if the non Beta also had the issue, when apparently they must've fixed the problem.

Jgaster26

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Screen Overlay settings can be found by going to Settings>Apps, tap the gear icon, then Draw Over Other Apps. (This is on a Nexus 6P--if you have a different phone, there might be some differences in the menu location.) By default, it should be Enabled, but each individual app can be turned on or off. Does the error message want you to enable to disable the screen overlay?

Disable

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Ok, have you read through this thread, yet? I know it's long, but there have been a number of helpful suggestions.

venkata123

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
No way. It is just showing the bull**** list of apps which have screen overlay and which app I m looking it isnot present at all in the list. It is going over and over again if u try to open a video file from vlc or pdf file opening from adobe.

mike younkin

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue. My new device put me in an endless loop with all my apps like Facebook,ESPN, etc.While at work I asked some comp. techs if they knew how to solve it. They didn't. But while sitting at my desk I came up with an idea: I put my phone in safe mode and was able to access EVERY permission I needed, for EVERY app. All you do is press and hold power, reboot phone. When Galaxy logo first appears, press and hold vol. down button until phone comes back on to your lock screen. Then go to application/applications manager/select app/go to permissions/then check every toggle on each app you want to allow. After your done, swipe down on phone and tap notification telling you your phone is in safe mode. This will restart your phone, taking you out of safe mode. Then go to app and have fun!!!

venkata123

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site

I dont see any options u mentioned. It even blocked hangouts, whatsapp, adobe reader. Its practically frustrating. i want to disable all the features at once. One time it worked, next day same problem of screen overlay for the same app. I dont know what to do. I m using Moto Z Play on Android 6. I don't want to reboot everytime for this problem

Reply me soon.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

@venkata welcome to the forums. I get you're frustrated but please check the language and hostility.

James Guynn

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
This method does not work on my Phoenix 2 6.0marshmallow k371. I've seen this same fix a thousand places but mine does not have a gear icon where you say there is, it don't have crap in settings/apps to turn off overlay, you can go to each app to do it but then some are greyed out and can not be changed. It shows it's off on those apps but the app says yes. I been trying to find out anything I can for 3 months and nothing. I can't do crap with this phone. Can't trim a video it's so intrusive, Google should be fired for this

James Guynn

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Most people can't understand how bad it messes you up unless they have the same problem and probably don't really care cause they are tired of hearing it and not having an answer for them so that's why I am asking anyone in the community forums everywhere I can to find some logic to it and how to fix it. I been spending close to 8-9 hrs a day looking and having to buy data 3 times a month or more usually but I can't keep going much longer. I need to be able to use what I purchased. It's like you can get a burger but not allowed to take the paper off to eat it.

It's definitely in the OS. I have no apps other than what came with my Phoenix 2 and it does the same thing, went to each app to turn it off & alot did but some will not let you change the overlay since they are greyed out and toggle won't work. It was done this way due to the pay by Android features but no one will admit it so far. My straight talk phone does not have this problem and you can store apps on the SD card on it too but not the 6.0 Marshmallow. Why hive you the option to put in a 32 GB SD card if you can't put anything but pics on it. Kinda like giving you a storage shed that you can only put trash in instead of tools

Mine is called full screen and didn't have it until the last update and it can't be uninstalled. I did what the fellow said about resetting app preference and it worked for a little while but it changes all your apps and settings you've set and a pain to go back through and fix back just to have it pop up again so I guess you have to go through all that just to change a apps permission.

There is an easier way to do the same thing without having to reset all apps , permissions and delete the apps data , go to apps and if you know or have an idea which one is causing it, even if it's clean master, you don't have to uninstall it just delete the apps data it has gathered off your phone it won't delete the actual app itselfs data but the data it has acquired and resets the app to its original form as it was before it was used. Then after you finish doing what you need you can use the cleaning app again, just will need to do it each time you get the overlay message but better than uninstall and reinstall or resetting everything. If you don't know exactly which apps causing the problem I got three words that helped me, " trail and error" good luck. You will need that cleaning app as the device memory will fill up fast since not allowed to put apps on your SD card

Last edited by a moderator:

88merlin

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site

i turned ALL my overlay settings to no, and even rebooted. can't change app permissions and still over 1/2 my apps don't allow access to run. extremely unhappy and don't see any hope on the horizon from Google.

darshancooray

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site

Hi, Go to Settings > Apps > Click app setting Icon > Click with the App Preference > Turn off all the apps
If any single app is on Screen overlay will be displayed

Lucy Lulu Vega

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
S7 Edge, same issues, but when I follow to turn it off it's not highlighted so can't make any changes no matter what I try. If it's turned on can't turn off & if it's turned on same. And they're not system apps, which is so much more frustrating, because any of those I can change without an issue. But since I was not sure at the time, how or what this was used for I didn't want to change anything. Just tossed the apps giving me the problem. Because like others my phone would freeze up but then I couldn't even turn off because of pop up in the middle of screen, no matter how many times I hit OK, would immediately pop right back up. This back & fort goes on for 20-30 min as my phone is now overheating. Worst part is, all this started the next day after purchasing this brand new phone. Can't believe it. What is going on with Samsung?

New leaf dada

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I am trying to post a picture on Facebook and it asks me to let Facebook access my gallery and I say yes but when I click yes it says overlay detected. What do I do If I have an Alcatel pixix 4?

Daddyswitlgirl1111

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
What I ended up having to do was go to settings, display, screen mode and then change from Adaptive display to one of the other modes like AMOLED cinema or photo, then I had to restart my phone for the changes to be read by the app. After that the app worked fine. I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.

This Samsung phone has nothing that says overlay in it so a user can have no idea what this means or how to find it. Use the search it finds nothing. There is nothing labeled OVERLAY anywhere I can find in the S7.

S7 Edge, same issues, but when I follow to turn it off it's not highlighted so can't make any changes no matter what I try. If it's turned on can't turn off & if it's turned on same. And they're not system apps, which is so much more frustrating, because any of those I can change without an issue. But since I was not sure at the time, how or what this was used for I didn't want to change anything. Just tossed the apps giving me the problem. Because like others my phone would freeze up but then I couldn't even turn off because of pop up in the middle of screen, no matter how many times I hit OK, would immediately pop right back up. This back & fort goes on for 20-30 min as my phone is now overheating. Worst part is, all this started the next day after purchasing this brand new phone. Can't believe it. What is going on with Samsung?
Try settings - display- AMOLED cinema - and restarting your phone. Hope that helps you.

lunta

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was also frustrated with this error message in my Samsung Galaxy S7. Many apps refused to work properly, if at all, complaining about "Screen overlay detected To change this permission setting, you first have to turn off the screen overlay in Settings > Apps."

However, I couldn't disable the screen overlay, it remained always enabled. Fu**k!! One of the moments where I cursed Android and its stupid design issues. I started to miss my Lumia even more. Then I found that I really don't need to disable overlays, but instead find and uninstall an app that was causes the overlay issue. It was a perfectly legal phonebook app (fonecta caller https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.fonectacaller&hl=fi&token=xinpARJ1) that made something nasty for Android, since after uninstalling it everything worked just fine.

androidtechhelp2017

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I've got Android 6.0 and I'm having a problem with Android asking me to give apps permissions (remember the Mac commercial taunting Windows on this ten years ago?). The point is that i can't use my apps thanks to this. For example, I want to watch baseball games on my MLB At Bat app but then it asks me to enable location, which thrn takes me to a pop up window that says "Screen Overlay Detected. To change this permission setting go to..." then I'm stuck in an endless loop where i can't change any of the settings and i can't operate many of my apps.

Help!
Thanks in advance

this basic all u have to do is go into ur setting for ur apps finds Knox and file manager apps clear the data and force stop the apps to by pass the screen overlay detached . turn off phone. u go to apps and enjoy.

to allow apps permissions they don't tell u but go into your setting and find the two apps call Knox and file manager clear data for both of them and force stop both apps and turn off phone . than it allow all permissions now and enjoys ur apps with no problems. the Knox is the problem on galaxy phone . it security updated.

FallonRayArt

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I just did the update on my s7 today and now I'm getting the same message, I have no idea how to make it stop. It won't let me post pics in messenger, says I have to turn off the screen overlay in system apps. But there's nowhere to go. I can't find anything.

When you see that message pop up, follow the prompt to go to settings & turn off the overlay for all apps in the list, this solved the issue for me. I don't want my apps to overlay other apps anyways so no issues there. Hope this helped.

I'm glad it worked for you. :) I did this and now my phone keeps rebooting itself over and over. I think I'm going to have to do a factory reset. I'm going to lose a TON of things that I haven't backed up. I was here looking for a solution to the problem caused by resetting the screen overlay setting for all apps. My phone has gone crazy.

Last edited:

Rajinder Khanna

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I am using Android marshmallow is on my device, but since last 3 days I am facing a problem " secreen overlay detected" due to this problem I cannot access any app, and unable to utilize my phone properly.

Written to Android for help / fix the problem, but of no use, perhaps Android has no time to address the problem.

This problem is being faced by many Android marshmallow users, it appears that Android has not tested the software properly and launched this is without homework.

Any one can help me to resolve / fix this

Thanks in advance

Rajinder Khanna

It appears Android has not tested the OS marshmallow prior to its commercial launch, nor the Android is apparently doing nothing to sort out the problem inspite of repeated requests, many of marshmallow users are facing this problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463