Android 6.0, how to back up SD card before reformatting?

Ronald Cambers

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
I use Vodafone Tab Prime 7 (Android 6.0.1; hardware remotely based on Alcatel One Touch) with 32GB Samsung SD card (almost 30 gb full). I was using in for a few months but now with all my apps installed (many of them moved to SD card), my android started to be rather slow and it often happens that it restarts on its own or gets stuck with apps that are on the SD card. I want to reformat my SD card (and in the same time clear some garbage) but I do not want to lose my apps (nor I do want to install them all over again, there is many of them). My plan is to move all the files on the SD to a computer, but because the SD card is formatted as an internal partition I am not able to do that.

What is the best way to back up all my data on SD card, and put them safely back after I reformat the SD card (which I suppose will fix half my problems, correct memory errors atp.)?

Can I simply copy them via Android-PC usb connection? (I am not sure if it will copy all the necessary data). And if I would somehow set the sd card as external, copy all the data to PC, would there be a way how I could put all those data back after reformatting the card?

I will probably figure it out somehow, but I would like to know more secure ways of doing it.

Similar topic here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-6-0-marshmallow/768774-recover-contents-adoptable-storage-sd-card.html?mn_qa=1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't believe you can do what you're trying to accomplish, since you formatted the card as Internal Storage. The card is therefore encrypted, and can only be read by the phone that encrypted it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38