Samsung Galaxy J5 running out of internal storage

LovekillerX

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm a new guy and wanted to join this forum because I need help for my problem. If this is in a wrong place don't toss me under the bus please!

So I have this phone called Samsung Galaxy J5 with Marshmallow's newest version. Well I have 8GB internal storage but only 600MB left. I also have 32GB external storage where I can move some apps.

External storage is fine. However I can't move almost any app to my SD card. Latest change was to Facebook which could be moved to SD card (and worked fine!) but that isn't the case anymore. Some guy decided to do a crappy move and make it impossible to move it to my SD card. Also I have so many pre-installed apps like Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint... which I never use! Still these pre-installed apps eat most of my internal storage.

Lately there have been so many updates to apps that can't be moved to SD card. It also installs brand new apps to my phone like "Facebook App Manager", "Facebook App Installer", "Google Play Services for Instant Apps". I didn't want to install these apps but these apps just appeared out of nowhere.

I'm running low on internal memory and I can't do anything to it. Unless somewhere in there is a smart guy who can help me out. 600MB space and constant updates for apps that can't be moved.

It seems like some people just want to "kill my phone"...

What I have done so far:

- Moved ALL my pictures, videos etc. to my SD card and made it default location
- Deleted duplicate pictures and some old sent/received pictures from WhatsApp folder
- Moved apps to SD card
- Deleted data from various apps (like Facebook)
- Deleted cache (daily ritual)
- Removed apps which I don't necessarily need

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, this is the major limitation of phones that have such minimal internal storage. An 8 GB phone these days is really only good for making calls and texts, and maybe having a few apps installed.

Unless you root the phone, you can't remove preinstalled bloatware apps. And the ability to move an app to SD depends on the phone and the app developer. Even so, moving an app to SD only moves a portion of that app, so the space you save isn't always that much.

You might save some space by Disabling the preinstalled apps you never use (if possible) -- go to the App Manager, select the app, and tap Disable. This will revert the app to its factory version, then prevent it from opening or being updated. Since updated versions of apps are often significantly larger, this might save you some space. If the phone doesn't give you the option to Disable an app, you could try using Package Disabler Pro (if it's available in your region).

If you want to remove bloatware, you'd have to root the phone first -- check the forums at XDA-developers.com if you want to learn how.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Take a look at the settings for the individual apps that are using lots of data space (camera, maps, GPS, some games, etc.). While many of these apps will not let you move the app to the SD card, some of them will let you move their data to the SD card.

That said, 8 gig is a very small amount of space to start with.

rcrew9

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
A. Get rid of the Facebook app. It is a storage and memory hog. Use something like Metal, Swipe, or Friendly to peruse Facebook.
B. Other folks have already mentioned the other options.