Android N on Moto Nexus 6

jeddo45

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know if anyone has Android N on their Moto Nexus, and how is it running. I want to install it on mine but I'm a little hesitate due to it being such an early release. I know Google's disclaimer is "not for a device that you use daily" but I know they always give that one out. Any input?

Posted with the Nexus 6, Nexus 5, or Surface Pro 3

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Let me see if I can contact a reckless madman who has done it.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Let me see if I can contact a reckless madman who has done it.

Lurch.jpg
you rang...?

Loaded it on my Nexus 6. Install went without a hitch actually, other than the fact that I forgot to go into the boot image and toggle the encryption flag (long story, don't worry if you don't know what that means). Runs OK... coughs and sputters here and there. I would not, under any circumstances, load it on a phone that I had to rely on for any reason. It's a rough, early pre-release build. Cool to play with, not so cool to live with.

Going back was a bit of a pain due to the reckless nature by which I loaded it in the first place (should have done a full wipe). But if you do it RIGHT, you can go back and forth.

Mind the OEM Unlock flag though.. that's bit a bunch of backsides recently.

jeddo45

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the helpful insight. I guess I'll just play it safe and wait for a more stable preview. Sounds like it is pretty green!

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I got the OTA via the Beta Program on my backup N6, and I've been surprised at how... normal my experience has been. The AC app crashed once when I tried to switch from News to Forums the first time I opened it, but it's been fine ever since. YouTube and Souncloud are both working fine. No problems browsing with Chrome or working in Gmail. I didn't get any calls while I had my T-Mobile SIM in (and I didn't feel like making any either), but WiFi Calling showed up in the notification shade eventually after a restart, which was nice to see.

Split screen seems to be working well in both landscape and portrait, too, and I'm liking the System UI options a lot. Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable installing this early release on a daily driver since there's no reason to expect it to be stable or reliable, but it's been feeling (maybe deceptively) pretty stable for the past three hours of playtime.

Last edited:

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I installed it on my daily driver because screw whoever's trying to call me. It's gone off without much of a hitch, a reboot solved all the issues I was seeing so far. Also since Marshmallow my voice activated Google Now has been buggy, that seems better so far.

b767mike

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Installed it on my daily use Nexus 6. No problems on install and have used it for a day. Upgraded via OTA update beta program. Waze seems to crash sporadically. Fixed my audio problem I had with either the phone or marshmallow. Audio would not always restart after a phone call. So far this has not happened. Have had a few instances of calls not going through. So far I like what I see.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Also loaded thru beta program. Using as my daily. So far so good. A few apps have trouble but I've emailed app manager and some have quickly fixed some haven't but all responded quickly.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I installed it on My Nexus 6 as well. The Nexus 6 isn't my main phone ( phone number wise).But I'm not having any major issues .

If I didn't have 2 phones .
I probably would not have opted into the beta program at this time.

Since I do have 2 phones I will probably leave the N6 on the beta program and receive the OTA's as they become available

jeddo45

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping they would add the OG Nexus 5 to the list of supported devices for trial and error...

BPM2425

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I installed the N preview on my daily use Nexus 6. I lasted an entire day before I switched back to M. Many apps I depend on daily were very buggy. It may be that I didn't wipe the device before installing N. It may also be due to the fact I went from lolipop to N. My Nexus never got the M update. My theory is because I am using a Project fi Nexus on Verizon and my understanding is that Verizon sees my device as a "non-verizon" device. If the carrier sends the ota I would not expect Verizon to send an OTA to a device they don't recognize. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Anyway, the OTA to N was very easy to use. I really like the way they are handling the N preview. It might even be too easy. The benefit to my experience is that I indirectly forced the M update by way of the N preview. I am optimistic about the N update after getting to tinker for a day.

markfern811

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I installed via the OTA beta program which went without any hassle...
I played with it for a day to see all the new things and I like where it's going.
I've now reverted back to Marshmallow as it's a little too buggy for me as a daily driver.

Jeffrey Kimes

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I installed it on my daily driver Nexus 6 just because I use a minimal number of apps and can survive without them if I have to/need to. I really enjoy it! The update went without so much as a hiccup. The one problem I found is that when I tried to opt out to try Google Fi, I never received my OTA update back to Marshmallow. That was 4 days ago. I've tried sideloading and everything else I could find without any luck. I'm now just using N as I would any other OS and enjoying all the cool new stuff. I'm hoping in a couple updates, they include Google Fi functionality.

craigdolson

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Same thing for me. Since I use FI on my 6P, I installed on my Moto Nexus 6 through the beta program. No SIM in it, but use Hangouts Dialer to make calls on Wifi using FI number. All apps I have tested have been pretty good. Screen is a little jumpy or glitchy once and a while. Like you said, I'll take the updates as they come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2