Anyone using Exchange ActiveSync / Nine email app?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is an Android N thing or something totally separate of that...

I use the Nine app ( https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3&token=tVUnKexW ) for my work Exchange email account. Typically, while sitting at my desktop PC running Microsoft Outlook, I see an email arrive on my desktop and hear my phone's notification tone for the same email received in Nine within several seconds of each other.

Lately, however, my phone picks up the email many minutes (perhaps as many as 10-15) after the same email hits my PC. I can't swear that this is directly related to N, but I think it is. I am currently on Preview 4, having started with Beta-N (Preview 3?) 24 hours or so after it became available.

Anyone else?

adev25

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible your sync settings for your Nine account are set to every 15 minutes or something like that. If you are using Push settings it should come relatively simultaneously

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible your sync settings for your Nine account are set to every 15 minutes or something like that. If you are using Push settings it should come relatively simultaneously

No, always was and still is set to "Sync frequency: Automatic(Push)".

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using it on Marshmallow and it works fine as long as it's set to Push and my Sync toggle is active. Haven't tried N, but at least that should tell you that it's probably not the app.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm using it on Marshmallow and it works fine as long as it's set to Push and my Sync toggle is active. Haven't tried N, but at least that should tell you that it's probably not the app.

Yeah, like I said above, it always worked fine; only recently have I noticed the very significant lag and the only thing that has changed is that a) I am running Android N and b) I think there has been at least one, maybe two, recent Nine updates.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I am running N Preview 4 on my Nexus 5X - Nine is working flawlessly for me - in fact on N, Nine is faster in GUI and overall response than it was on MM.

And I have not noticed any difference in delay of receiving emails compared to MM.

NEXUS 5X on AT&T on N Beta

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
running 7.0 on my Nexus 6P and have run into the same issue. Reported it to Nine Support. Lets see what they say.

I am the original poster, now using a Google Pixel XL with Android 7.1 (not 7.1.1) and still having the same issue. Sometimes emails hit my phone within seconds of appearing on my desktop PC; other times not for many minutes.

I think it is due to Android 7's battery conservation measures. I just now disabled battery optimization for Nine (I swear I had already done that...); will see if it makes a difference. Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimization.

zetachi

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
So nine support looked at my logs and told me my calendar issues were caused by company server I replied that that nice for that but that didnt explain the no push issue. Have not heard back from them after that.

Don_Henry

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I am the original poster, now using a Google Pixel XL with Android 7.1 (not 7.1.1) and still having the same issue. Sometimes emails hit my phone within seconds of appearing on my desktop PC; other times not for many minutes.

I think it is due to Android 7's battery conservation measures. I just now disabled battery optimization for Nine (I swear I had already done that...); will see if it makes a difference. Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimization.

Hey N4N - I also posted a while back that everything was fine on DP4. However, ever since moving to DP5, I am experiencing similar delays as you are - settings are all correct, and no issues on the Exchange server side.

I have found Nine support to be hit and miss - seems like if it is something that they can quickly solve, you get good response and support. But if it is something that they can't solve quickly, I never hear anything further after their first suggestion does not work.

zetachi

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey N4N - I also posted a while back that everything was fine on DP4. However, ever since moving to DP5, I am experiencing similar delays as you are - settings are all correct, and no issues on the Exchange server side.

I have found Nine support to be hit and miss - seems like if it is something that they can quickly solve, you get good response and support. But if it is something that they can't solve quickly, I never hear anything further after their first suggestion does not work.

Thats fine for a free app but when you have to shell out $$ you expect some level of support :(

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Perhaps it is to early to be certain, but this does seem to have resolved the problem.

On the other hand, I also installed the 7.1.1 OTA update this morning on my Pixel XL.

zetachi

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
so I switched back to Touchdown and have no issues. Calendar syncs and my emails are push. Nine still does not work. So it's not my office server but the nine app.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
so I switched back to Touchdown and have no issues. Calendar syncs and my emails are push. Nine still does not work. So it's not my office server but the nine app.

Yup. You are correct. Even after a couple updates the past few days. Nine still doesn't push emails right away. How is touchdown on the battery compared to Nine?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup. You are correct. Even after a couple updates the past few days. Nine still doesn't push emails right away. How is touchdown on the battery compared to Nine?
I resolved my Nine problem by disabling battery optimization for the Nine app.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I resolved my Nine problem by disabling battery optimization for the Nine app.

I've tried this as well and it does seem to improve things. I've noticed a hit in battery life (which I suppose is to be expected). Have you seen a noticable decease? I probably should disable battery optimization for a week or so and take a more in depth look at it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this as well and it does seem to improve things. I've noticed a hit in battery life (which I suppose is to be expected). Have you seen a noticable decease? I probably should disable battery optimization for a week or so and take a more in depth look at it.

Not enough of a change to be troublesome; I still go to bed most nights with very substantial remaining charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz