What if Nougat launched with the Note 7...and the Nexii came later?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I read a phonearena article speculating, in the way that blogs do for clicks, that the Note 7 might launch with Nougat. Well...why not? Google already has multiple phones ready to run the release of Nougat, why not also launch with a partner like Samsung, especially one they have been working with closely and has been (relatively) kicking butt with security patches for their flagship phones? Perhaps we see Nougat launch this summer with the Note 7, and the existing Nexus devices, and later in October we see the new Nexus phones?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If even one Samsung phone was currently participating in the Android N Beta program (and none are), I'd still call the scenario farfetched. The annual launch of a new version of Android has historically been tied to the official release of a new Nexus device. Allegedly, the Nexus devices only exist as a platform for the current state of the OS as Google defines it. Why would Google even consider allowing the new version of Android to be released on any other phone, especially on a phone that is about as far removed from "stock" Android as an Android phone can get?

Not to mention (at the risk of repeating myself), why does Samsung even need Android N given all of the software enhancements they've already made to the Note series?

scuz

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Phonearena is a dreadful source. They churn out dozens of pointless articles everyday..

Looks highly unlikely... It might get N before the new Nexus phones are released, but I dont think they'll launch with N..