Upset about no dark theme.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I finally decided to give in and install Nougat. I did it mainly to try the dark theme but didn't know they removed it. I heard they said it'll be double the work to have both light and dark theme so they settled for the light one. Why couldn't they just settle for the dark theme? You can easily see it during day or night. With light theme, it can be an eyesore using it in the dark. Pretty disappointed.

Google Nexus 6P

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I finally decided to give in and install Nougat. I did it mainly to try the dark theme but didn't know they removed it. I heard they said it'll be double the work to have both light and dark theme so they settled for the light one. Why couldn't they just settle for the dark theme? You can easily see it during day or night. With light theme, it can be an eyesore using it in the dark. Pretty disappointed.

Google Nexus 6P

I don't know if you are aware, but drag down the notification bar and look for a symbol similar to a dagger with the tip at bottom left and handle at top right. Tap it to flip "night mode" from off to on and vice versa.

I like it.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you are aware, but drag down the notification bar and look for a symbol similar to a dagger with the tip at bottom left and handle at top right. Tap it to flip "night mode" from off to on and vice versa.

I like it.

I've tried it. I personally think it's an ugly tint that seem worse on my eyes.

Google Nexus 6P

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I'm with you on that score. Night mode and color inversion both are too aggressive to work as replacements for a crisp, inkyblack dark theme. And, trust me, if either one of 'em made me feel like I was on acid, I'd be using it.

I'm not really buying that "too much work" horsecrank, though. If they cared about it, they'd do it. I'm guessing they've already decided that a dark theme is inconsistent with the Material Design esthetic, and that's what sets the conditions for prioritizing tasks and deciding when any goal will involve "too much work" to be worthwhile.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing they've already decided that a dark theme is inconsistent with the Material Design esthetic, and that's what sets the conditions.

That's probably it. They have a single approach and want to make that a standard. Adding in a dark version muddies the waters a bit... It's hard to have a standard with two diametrically opposed visual schemes.... Things can get inconstant across the system.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Google Nexus 6P

For how long? 10 seconds? A minute? And if you don't close the shade, the background color is oversaturated until you do.

Honestly, after using it for a while, especially at night or in a dark room, it's hardly noticeable at all and is so much easier on the eyes when reading or even using apps.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
For how long? 10 seconds? A minute? And if you don't close the shade, the background color is oversaturated until you do.

Honestly, after using it for a while, especially at night or in a dark room, it's hardly noticeable at all and is so much easier on the eyes when reading or even using apps.

I gave it another try. I still don't like it. I think it hurts my eyes more than it helps. I just download a screen dimming app. It works a lot better.

Google Nexus 6P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87