Allo vs messenger

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I really tend to think that Allo wasn't designed for markets where SMS is prevalent, but rather, in markets (like India) where WhatsApp is the big thing. That's the market Allo is really competing for. In regions where SMS is widely used, Allo probably won't make much traction at all in messaging.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is true. More than likely that's the case. Again, allo seems like a cool platform, just doesn't support SMS. That's the deal breaker of course.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I really tend to think that Allo wasn't designed for markets where SMS is prevalent, but rather, in markets (like India) where WhatsApp is the big thing. That's the market Allo is really competing for. In regions where SMS is widely used, Allo probably won't make much traction at all in messaging.

Google is pushing Google Assistant these days. And Google Assistant -- like all things Google -- is all about collecting just exactly what you are doing -- email (gmail), browsing (chrome and search), and now messaging. Google is limited on just how they can "collect" data via SMS, so they are pushing Allo so that they can them incorporate what one is "messaging" so that they can they improve Assistant. What is left unsaid of course, is that my monitoring your chats via Allo, they can also use that for their advertising purposes which is of course Google's bread and butter.

Google hopes that the future of messaging and phone calls is not through the telephone network -- but through the internet. Thus Duo and Allo. Whose main competition at this point is Skype, Facetime, Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, etc.

Interesting play if you ask me. And this is in some respects why Google and Facebook are taking "moonshots" at providing internet connectivity to the undeveloped world.

The goal of Facebook, Google, and to a lesser extent Microsoft is to transition users from the telcos to the internet.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Allo is Best than Messenger, messenger only send SMS messages, and Allo you can share pics, real time chat and more...

I realize you probably live in a country with no unlimited texting but you seem to be ignorant about SMS... You can send pictures with SMS and it is real time (or close enough). Regardless, I can text 100% of my contacts but only use Allo with one or two of them so it's not even really a messaging platform.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I realize you probably live in a country with no unlimited texting but you seem to be ignorant about SMS... You can send pictures with SMS and it is real time (or close enough). Regardless, I can text 100% of my contacts but only use Allo with one or two of them so it's not even really a messaging platform.
Touche, yes, yes you can indeed!

ItsJalvin

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I agree on how Allo is not a true messaging platform. It just lacks the SMS that people in the US States use often. When Google integrates that, then it will be more useful.

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I REALLY wanted to like allo, and i tried. I messaged a bunch of Android and iPhone users and to make a long story short, here's yet another app that i could do merely most of my messaging from, which for me defeats the purpose. I'm tired of this competition for my communications and I'm rooting for Google, but allo and duo both leave much to be desired.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I REALLY wanted to like allo, and i tried. I messaged a bunch of Android and iPhone users and to make a long story short, here's yet another app that i could do merely most of my messaging from, which for me defeats the purpose. I'm tired of this competition for my communications and I'm rooting for Google, but allo and duo both leave much to be desired.

Duo is a huge video chatting hit for its simplicity and ease of use honestly. Everyone in my life is on the Duo platform and they love it! I really wanted to like Allo, but I just won't use it until it has true sms/mms functionality. On the other hand though, i just side loaded the Google Messenger 2.0 app apk file for Nougat 7.1.1 from he Pixel phones and that Interface now runs smoother, more polished, and is a bit nicer to use as a text messaging client!

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
yeah until allo has sms functionality it really isn't a fair comparisson because they do different things. essentially you are asking chat app vs sms app.

Personally I love allo but its only for a limited number of people that I get to message with it.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah until allo has sms functionality it really isn't a fair comparisson because they do different things. essentially you are asking chat app vs sms app.

Personally I love allo but its only for a limited number of people that I get to message with it.

Yes, Absolutely. I think the Allo interface is great and all, but just like it's been said already, until Allo gets true SMS functionality, not as many people are going to download it as their main messaging platform.

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Allo uses a lot of RAM and power both CPU & Battery!

I find Google Messages aka Android Messages to be smoother and faster and less choppy on my Galaxy S5 Plus over the defualt Samsung app, I also find the general look and feel of the UI overall to be better, The only real thing I like on my Samsung Messanger App is that it allows me to use/paste more media than just video/photo/audio it allows me to use memos, s planner, prerecorded audio (GM only lets use record new audio not use old audio!) and even google maps why does Google Messages not allow users to send Google Map information by text is preplexing!

LORD AWAR

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Allo is said to be merged into Google/Android Messages late this year to allow a true rival to iMessenger also Allo will be comming to PC's in the next few months, I have no idea if it will stay Allo on PC but my guess is it will!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt